Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harlies progress (long story)

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Harlies progress (long story)

Postby janetafloat » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:57 pm

That's tough....sorry to hear that. My dog came to me very traumatised and over the years I've had her it has felt like 'one step forward two steps back' often which can be soooo discouraging. I think overall I can see that although small things cause her to regress, over time she recovers a little quicker each time and the overall progress has been small steps but always forward. Family and friends who don't see her all the time always tell me that she seems much better than the last time they saw her and they can measure that this time she's engaging in some positive behaviour or responding in some way that last time she wouldn't have done, which really helps me feel less discouraged. I'm sure that Harlie hasn't forgotten her 'progressed state' and it will come back to her...this is just a temporary blip. She's learned to trust you and that is a memory in her body that is still there under the layer of what's happening now.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby marie83 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Well I had to start all over since the medications. I had to wait for her to come to me again, it happened so we repeated step up training the past 2 days as shes only just recovered her appetite.
Today I started work on touch taming with far far greater success than I could have imagined. She even let me touch her beak 3 times very very gently. Still a long road but I'm very pleased :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby marie83 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:40 pm

I love my little Harlie girl sooo much.

Today for the first time ever she came to me with no incentive, she usually calls to me with I get in from work and dances about a bit but today she flew right over. It might not sound a lot but for Harlie it was the sweetest thing ever and my boyfriend was in shock from it lol.

Regarding the touch training I had to take a couple of steps backwards as she decided (for no apparent reason)she didn't want my hands anywhere near her head, this is fine, it took me years to convince her my hands were safe enough to step up on to and she was still stepping up ok so I knew i hadn't done too much damage.
After a few days of no further progress I realised she isn't really scared on my face so very cautiously I brought my face fairly close to hers and rewarded. With a few attempts I was able to gently kiss the top of her head. Now she actually leans her head forward in anticipation and meets me, during the last couple of days I've managed to work towards bringing my hand closer to her as I kiss the top of her head. Harlie is now ok with this as long as i don't actually touch her with my finger but she is ok with the kiss as long as I don't keep my face too close to her for too long.

On another note, her flying has improved so much recently, she can fly fairly tight turns now, she is more confident now too and she doesn't hesitate and deliberate for 5 minutes first about whether to take off like she used to. It also doesn't take her as long to recover from her flights. I'm so proud of her :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby cml » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Its great isn't it? I feel the same when Leroy shows us that he trusts us. Its the small things! :-)
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby marie83 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:51 pm

I'm so sorry to say this but I've lost my beautiful girl today. It was so sudden and there were no signs of anything wrong apart from a bit of weight loss that I hadn't picked up on until I had to pick her up to take her to the vets. Her feathers are so thick and I had let her regular weigh ins slide.

It's crazy really, I was thinking yesterday that I should update this thread as she has come such a long way since my last post and it might encourage others with hard to tame birds. I will still do an update and find some pictures to post in her memory but not tonight.

Rest in peace my sweet, brave, gorgeous girl. There is a massive hole that will never be filled now. I will miss you so much but I hope you are happier wherever you may be now. xx
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Other than just a quick thank you for Harlie's story I can't really say much at this time as I too am traumatized by todays events and need some time to pull myself together before I respond further.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:10 am

Oh, Marie, so very very sorry for your loss! But she had a wonderful life with you and that's about all we can do for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Seb&Ollie » Fri May 19, 2017 4:58 am

I have just spent a little while reading through your story and all the replies and comments on Harlies Progress and I was so happy to read that she started to learn to trust. I was gutted to then see your update that she sadly passed :( I know I'm a couple of years late but I'm so sorry for your loss and I think it's great that you persisted with her. It has given me the inspiration needed to help tame an Indian Ringneck I have just taken on who has clearly been through one hell of a time so far in his life. Thank you. :irn:
Seb&Ollie
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Indian Ringnecks.
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training