Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My new parrot has a strong preference

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: My new parrot has a strong preference

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 am

Michael wrote:There are tons and tons of cases where the owner loves the bird and the bird wants nothing with them. Love alone isn't enough. I never said that I don't believe parrots love. I just said there isn't any definitive evidence that this is the case. It's usually based on peoples' feelings and anthropomorphism and not on anything solid from the parrot. It seems to me that my parrots love me but it does not prove that they do.

For one thing, I don't think that all parrot owners love their parrots. I also think that the owners who 'love' their parrot and the parrot wants nothing to do with them is because, in reality, the owners do not love them [I am not talking about parent-raised birds here but exclusively handfed]. I do agree with you that love is not enough - this is something that I have said over and over and over. Love is nothing without good care. As to proof that parrots love us... no, there isn't one. But then, there isn't any scientific proof that humans love one another, either - no blood test, no Xray, no right answer to a question, etc. All we can go by is behaviors and parrots behaviors tell us that if you love them, they love you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training