Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Training/Taming a young Conure

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Training/Taming a young Conure

Postby MichaelFTPO3217 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Hello everyone. I just recently joined this forum to learn more about taming a Conure. However I do not own a parrot nor have I ever owned a parrot. I am currently learning all I can about the responsibility of caring for a Conure yet I have questions I need answered :/. One question I have is what should I do the first day of the arrival of my new Conure? Should I try to begin taming it? Should I give it some time? I have heard from multiple viewpoints and all differ. Some Conure owners say talk to your new Conure the first day and let it settle in while others say by the first day it should be already in taming process. When I purchase my Conure a few things in mind are that I want a young Male Conure. Preferably a sun or red masked Conure. If anyone has experience with taming any parrot really, please inform me on what works best. Thanks. :)
MichaelFTPO3217
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet.
Flight: No

Re: Training/Taming a young Conure

Postby cml » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:58 am

One question I have is what should I do the first day of the arrival of my new Conure?

No, let him settle in first. This may take a few days up to a couple of weeks.
Some Conure owners say talk to your new Conure the first day and let it settle in

They are correct =).

For taming I would suggest you head to Michael's blog as a starting point:
http://www.trainedparrot.com/taming
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training