Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Daily routine

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Daily routine

Postby jancijen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 pm

omg.... today he was outside for about 10 minutes cause he was attacking my hand when i was holding perch and i am scaried that i ll let him fall if he did that.... it is so unfair... why i should have offensive bird :(

BTW: i didnt let him to bite me i gave him millet before my hand or so....
jancijen
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Remember !! Slow down and quit trying to force him, you scared the heck out of him. You must always introduce new things slowly, hang the perch on the side of the cage and let him get used to it. Then put it inside of the cage until he get used to it.
The bird is not offensive, you are -- to the bird ! You are a giant demanding that he commit suicide and he is terrified when you do that so you give him no choice but to try to defend his life. STOP<SLOW DOWN and THINK about what you are doing!
Go back without the perch and find out how much of his trust you have destroyed. Come back and start a new topic thread, I'll be looking for it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby jancijen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 am

But what to do ? :/ o.O when i hold perch he ll stand there and then come to my fingers trying to eat them :D and is it bad to let him go out from cage at his own ?
jancijen
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:41 am

Relax ! He isn't going to eat your fingers. It sounds like you are using a straight perch so try making one that looks like a capital T.
No it will not hurt to let him come out on his own, in fact, I have three parrots and most of the time they come out and go in all by themselves.
He is doing what is called beaking and all of them do it. It looks like he is going to bite but it doesn't hurt. It actually feels like a tickle.
Make a new topic! This one is getting too long, I will watch for it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training