Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hand Taming Difficulty

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Hand Taming Difficulty

Postby Kirsten » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:34 pm

So we recently had a big scare with Skittles ( :sun: ) that has gotten me more determined than ever to get him trained to use harnesses and flight suits. I realize, however, that this means I have to be able to pick up with my whole hand without him freaking out.

Skittles is about 3 1/2 years old at this point. He steps up, lets me pet him and he even snuggles with me in bed. I still though, cannot, for the life of me, get him comfortable with being picked up with my hand or have him belly-up. I have done target training and have done some of the training where I put my hand close and give him a treat for every 3-5 seconds he doesn't move away or bite. I stopped for awhile and now I'm going to start trying that again but even when he was a baby he was resistant to this.

I am moving this weekend and I would really like to get him into a flight suit when I take him into the living area to give my roommates (who are concerned about cleanliness) peace of mind.

Is there anything other than what I have done that would help with this?

Edit: I just noticed Michael made a book. I will be ordering this once I get moved in to my apartment.
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training