Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aggressive Meyers

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Aggressive Meyers

Postby MyMeyersCody24 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Hi, I'm new here and have just rescued a Meyers parrot. I have had other birds before, cockatiels and one was a rescue. Cody, the Meyers was supposed to be a breeding bird but never happened and has been in a cage for over a year now. The previous owner had told me she will never be hand tamed and will attack you if she gets out. Also had gotten out of a locked cage several times.

When I picked her up today the lady was literally holding Cody in gloves at the door waiting for me! I couldn't even see the cage or where she was kept. I gave her the money and left knowing she was coming home with me.

She is scared as one would expect and has made some funny noises lol, but she seems generally relaxed and kept wanting neck scratches thru the bars. I repeatedly told her how great she is and gave her an almond and a couple other treats that came with her.

My question is how should I approach taming her? She doesn't seem like the attack bird I've been told so far and is very happy to have you sit and talk to her with slow movement of course. I'm just looking for anyone else's experiences with birds like this and any advise you may be able to give me on how to handle her.

Thanks so much! Sorry for this being long lol
MyMeyersCody24
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyers parrot
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training