Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My orange winged amazonian is really scared first day at hom

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: My orange winged amazonian is really scared first day at hom

Postby Dave & Karen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:11 am

I've been reading thru this post again to see if I may have missed anything but the only thing I could ask about is if you know how he was at the pet store... Was he approachable by others? how did he act when they got him and put him in the transport cage/box? or did they put him in his cage there and you took him home in his cage he's living in now?
Also, where is his cage located in your house? Sometimes their cage location can make them nervous if they're put somewhere where they're in the middle of all the action, or he may be freaking out because he's alone and it's too quiet... If there's a window where he can see outside he might be seeing something that's making him nervous as well.
I didn't think about this before when answering your posts but you may try moving his cage somewhere else in the house like the living room but not in the middle of the room, if you can place his cage where he can see everything that's going on but with a wall behind him or in a corner where he can see everything in the room that might make him feel a lot more safe and secure since he doesn't feel like he has to watch his back constantly.
try moving his cage then give him some privacy and see how he does, he shouldn't get too scared if you move the cage, as long as he's not totally freaking out when you move it you should be ok, just talk to him in a calm tone to help keep him calm. but when you move the cage, give it a day or so before moving it again unless you see him very uncomfortable in his new surroundings and not settling down. Like if he's close to a window and it's obviously freaking him out, move him away from that area, but if he remains normal after a move (or at least as normal as he is now without getting worse) leave him there for a day or so to see if he feels safer. try to keep his cage in the same room you spend most your time and maybe run a tv or radio to give him some background noise, sometimes some soft music will help him calm down and prevent boredom when you're not there. We run the tv for the birds while we're at work so they always got something to listen to, or put the tv on a music channel... classic rock, or soft rock... or whatever music you prefer is ok, jsut keep the volume low but up enough to be heard.

I'm just throwing some more ideas out there for you to try, but I've had some success with nervous birds by moving their cage.

And Also, I never asked this before, but is his cage round or square? most birds don't do well at all in round cages since there's no corner to take refuge in.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis
Flight: Yes

Postby artiseven » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

his cage is square and fairly big for his size. i actually got some very good news. hes doing much better now hes not shivering hes moving and hanging around this just shows that hes comfortable to see me and my brother becuase he only feel confident with me and him. however i did try and feed him a treat didnt work he moved from me but im still happy on the progress i just hope soon he lets me pick him up so i can clean his cage because its really dirty now. but most importantly hes cool now. he can use a little taming but all in good time i guess. hes still a bit afraid of me but hes much much better now and very confident in me and my brother but especially me. i can see it. thank you for your advice it is much appreciated :)
artiseven
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Orange Winged Amazonian parrot
Flight: No

Postby artiseven » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:00 pm

i will be very sure to keep you guys updated
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby Dave & Karen » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:40 am

That's great news... Progress. This means he just needed some time to settle in but take it slow... Now's a really good time to find out what his favorite treat is so you can use that treat as training rewards and a way to bribe him into coming to you until he starts to trust you really well.

If you can get an organic trail mix without any chocolate in it, it'll give you a variety of seeds, nuts, raisins, and other dried fruits you can offer to see if he likes any of it and what he likes, not to mention you can eat it with him and sharing food is a good way to build trust and a strong bond.
Other treats most birds can't resist are sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, safflower seeds, millet ( some big parrots won't care for millet, but if he likes it, it's an excellent training treat that's low in fat but highly nutricious) dried papaya, pineapple, cherries, raisins, both black and gold ones, un salted peanuts (not in the shell tho), granola bars, oatmeal cookies, as well as fresh fruits.
Find that favorite treat and you'll have a good advantage on him for trust building, bonding, and training, and use that special favorite treat for rewarding him only... and spoiling him a little here and there...
Dave & Karen
Conure

Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby artiseven » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 pm

actually i used to keep zupreem in his plate but now i know why he isnt eating. as soon as i swapped it with sunflower seed he started eating and didnt stop for almost an hour. poor bird im still wondering how im gonna clean his cage if hes that afraid of me still :(
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby Raa » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:34 am

The sunflower seeds might get him eating but they realy aren't good for him in high quantity... Perhaps try switching him to a cockatiel or small parrot mix with fresh veggis and fruit to start with, to get him eating a variety, and make sure you leave it there till he eats a variety not just the sunflowers. He won't be happy but he wont starve himself and he will be MUCH healthier for it. Once you have him settled you can try to swap him to pellets. You have to do this gradualy. Mixing it with seed and slowly increasing the pellet ratio. While doing this its best to only offer a small amount of food, about double what he will eat in a day, so he's forced to eat the pellets too.
Raa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby artiseven » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:53 pm

and now hes back to being frozen. god im frustrated as hell right now
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby Dave & Karen » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 am

Progress can be slow at times, but keep with it and he'll come around. Ours had a few bad days about 2 weeks after we got her where she just locked up, wouldn't come out of her cage, wouldn't talk to us, or let either of us near her. We just gave her some privacy but left her cage open when we were in the bedroom so she could go in and out as she pleased. This happened the second weekend we had her here but monday night when I got home from work she was back to herself, very excited to see me, and jumped right onto my arm when I walked up to see her. It could also be the case with yours where he's just wanting some alone time which can be difficult on the weekends where you really want to spend time with him, see how he acts when you get home from work, it could be the same thing ours was going thru.
They also tend to get a bit cranky if they're not getting enough sleep so maybe try covering his cage about an hour earlier, they do need a good 10 to 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep which they can usually get during the week but maybe not on the weekends and it does catch up with them to the point where you'll see some cranky behavior by sunday afternoon or evening.

Another thing I will point out is that bad diet leads to bad behavior, the sunflower seeds do make for an excellent treat and you should use them for a treat, but not feed them to him as a meal, he will eat them like crazy if he has them available to him in a bowl and may refuse to eat anything else after eating them as a meal, and the fat content is way too high. Keep him on the zupreem or rowdybush and maybe buy a cockatiel or large parrot seed blend and mix it with the pellets, but remove the sunflower seeds from the seed blend, save these for training rewards now that you know he loves them, he will be more willing to take a small risk like coming out of his cage for one, or coming up to your hand and snatching it away... then once he's snatching it away from your hand, he's still scared of you but getting just a bit more confident. You can slowly "raise the bar" to what he needs to do to get the sunflower seed. You can also see if he'll eat apples since most parrots love them, just don't let him get to the seeds, they are toxic. Apples are much better for him and can be fed to him as part of a meal or as a training treat if he likes it enough.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby artiseven » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm

thank you very much and i will try all of that right now. im sleeping in the livingroom to give him privacy already and i only enter the room to change for school and nap so how will he get his privacy. god this is too much.
artiseven
Parrotlet

Postby Raa » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 pm

I would be inclined to spend more time with him than that. He wont get used to you if you don't spend time with him. Maybe try just being in your room doing something quiet (reading ect) and totaly ignoring him. If the only time he sees you is when you are changing its possible you are just spooking him and not giving him time to calm before leaving. I can imagine he would be pretty lonely.
Raa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training