Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

my bird has been getting very disrespectful how can i train

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

my bird has been getting very disrespectful how can i train

Postby jakefinley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:46 pm

hello guys i have a parrotlet and shes almost a year old but she is very disobedient. she constantly bites me. lands on my head, shoulders and back. and will bite me if i try and take her off. is there any way i can train her to stop this.
jakefinley
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: my bird has been getting very disrespectful how can i train

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 pm

What makes you think your bird has any reason or obligation to respect you?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: my bird has been getting very disrespectful how can i train

Postby CSLFiero » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:23 pm

One day when i have kids, i foresee putting some food in front of his/her high chair and them knocking it straight to the floor, making a huge mess, and follow it up with screaming at the top of their little lungs.

I don't think I'd bat an eyelash, certainly won't wonder why the child doesn't respect me. parrot ownership is a lot like having a pestilent child that will live for 50 years. You learn a lot about patience, dependency, appreciation.. How you like lack the patience and the bird the appreciation. You both have the dependency, it needs you to survive obviously.. But if my child were to drop dead, i think I'd lose my mind in grief.

Hang it there and read the forums. Be happy your baby doesn't have a very big beak and does have a huge capacity to learn. And respectfully, consider a perspective adjustment. I realize a lot of people think they have pet birds, but they don't. They have companion birds, often not one generation from wild jungle animal. It's a part of your life, not a part of your possessions. It may never be the animal you want it to be, but with knowledge and effort it can be a good friend to you, maybe even a life's purpose.
CSLFiero
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's

Return to Taming & Basic Training