Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African grey has a double personality? Help?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

African grey has a double personality? Help?

Postby Chaoscupcake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 am

I have an african grey, it seems to be affectionate
to me only when im on my own, as soon as another
Family member enters the room it bites me, it doesnt like
Anyone apart from me but it scares me how fast
My bird will attack me, also as soon as i let it out of its cage
It will pay no attention me and run towards others to attack them
Chaoscupcake
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey parrot
Flight: No

Re: African grey has a double personality? Help?

Postby Weka » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi and welcome Chaoscupcake! (great name, btw)

It sounds like this might be a case of "displaced" or protective biting, where your bird sees a threat (newcomers), and bites their mate (you) to get you to flee to safety.

Socialization training might help. Here's a great article: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1528

Warmest regards,

Weka
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Bellied Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby KimberlyAnn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 am

I agree with Weka. We had this problem with Emmi and cured it by making every guest in our home, give her a treat. Even the guy who came to fix our couch. Lol He was scared of birds...
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Chaoscupcake » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 am

I understand that but my bird doesnt take treats which is why im
Finding it hard to train him, he will not take anything unless hes hungry, its not me that cleans after
My bird its my mum but my parrot wont even let my mum
Feed him, he gets really angry when anyone apart from me goes near the cage
Chaoscupcake
Parakeet

Postby Weka » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Here's one of Michael's videos about how to determine which treats your bird might like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L2oJOycn6s

Also, it might help to share a little more information, such as:

1) What foods does your bird eat? (List what type, such as "Harrison pellets and freshly chopped vegetables.")

2) What time(s) is he given food? (For example, "9am and 5pm")

3) How much food does he get each day? (x Tbsp pellets and x cup of vegetables)

4) Do you know how much your bird weighs?

5) What amount of daily exercise does he get?

Best,

Weka
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Postby Wayne361 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Chaoscupcake wrote:I understand that but my bird doesnt take treats which is why im
Finding it hard to train him, he will not take anything unless hes hungry, its not me that cleans after
My bird its my mum but my parrot wont even let my mum
Feed him, he gets really angry when anyone apart from me goes near the cage

You have basically answered your own question re: taking treats. Train before meal times so that he is food motivated.
Take bird away from cage when your mom cleans cage and there shouldnt be a problem. BTW I am not sure how old you are but part of the responsibilty of pet ownership is cleaning up after the pet, with cage cleaning being a big part of that responsibility.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Chaoscupcake » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:23 am

Im 18 and im at university so it gets harder to always be there on time to feed
And clean up after my parrot so my mum does most of the work,
Also my parrot gets slices of fresh fruit a day as a snack and is fed 4 times a day, sometimes with peanuts and the sometimes with bird food (the right bird food for my parrot) which is basically a variety of everything, ive tried picking out what his favourite food is but he seems to like everything. Also the Exercise it gets is when i come home and take it out of its cage which is basically 'playtime' with me. I dont know how much my bird weighs but its a big bird.
Chaoscupcake
Parakeet

Postby Chaoscupcake » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:26 am

4 times a day as in in the morning 9 am then in the afternoon 1pm and then gets fruit as a snack in between evening, then at 9pm
Chaoscupcake
Parakeet

Postby Weka » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:52 am

Hi again --

Congrats on getting into university! I was the first person in my family to get a four-year degree, and I remember how stressful the transition was for me and my budgie. It's nice that your mom is helping out...

Regarding your African grey: When was the last time you took your him to your avian veterinarian? He/she might be able to weigh your bird for you, and check to see if he is eating too much or too little. It's often difficult for parrot caretakers to tell if their pets are too thin or too fat, because bird bodies are hidden by lots of feathers.

Also, how old is he, and how long of a time have you had him?

Sorry about all the questions -- it's just so you can get the most informed advice. There are people on this forum who are very experienced and can perhaps point you in the right direction, but it helps to know more about you and your bird's situation.

Best,

Weka

Weka
Conure

Postby Wayne361 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Chaoscupcake wrote:Im 18 and im at university so it gets harder to always be there on time to feed
And clean up after my parrot so my mum does most of the work,
Also my parrot gets slices of fresh fruit a day as a snack and is fed 4 times a day, sometimes with peanuts and the sometimes with bird food (the right bird food for my parrot) which is basically a variety of everything, ive tried picking out what his favourite food is but he seems to like everything. Also the Exercise it gets is when i come home and take it out of its cage which is basically 'playtime' with me. I dont know how much my bird weighs but its a big bird.

Read Michaels articles/blogs on food management. This will shed light on much of your questions. There are other write ups on training treats....how to select etc. If you read those it will help you as well.

Good luck in school.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training