Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Eclectus wont stop squawking

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: My Eclectus wont stop squawking

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:58 pm

No salmon, tuna or egg. With the exception of a couple of species, all parrots are herbivores but ekkies are the most herbivores of all the parrots. They have the longest intestinal tract of them all and that tells us that they need more plant material fiber than the others - this translates into a nutrient poor diet with lots and lots of fiber. With ekkies nutrition, less is always better. They are also highly prone to high cholesterol and fatty liver so no eggs and no oil seeds. And salmon and tuna are loaded with mercury so, please, don't feed him those any longer. Just organic veggies and fruits, no weird, unnatural stuff.

Yes, you are going to find many contradictory advice out there when it comes to parrot husbandry. It's a sad fact that people repeat something they've read without double checking the accuracy of the statement or using common sense... And people always say they did it (whatever it is) and that their birds are fine but, in most cases, they don't really know and/or they have young birds. Ekkies do wean later than most species but no bird should be weaned on a schedule. Period. The bird will wean when he is good and ready - and, when he is, he will let you know by not begging for his food. There are lots and lots of birds that end up with eating disorders or just plain insecurity from not been allowed to develop the way they needed (and insecurity means plucking which ekkies are also very prone to). Every bird is an individual and if yours needs a bit more 'comfort' and asks for a longer feeding period, so be it. It's the same with children, some need their bottle a little longer than others, my oldest girl used to go to sleep with a bottle until she was almost five years old but none of the others did and one did not want it after he turned two and they were all raised the same way. They are all grown now, healthy and well-adjusted and the oldest girl is the same as the boy who did not want it at two... not everybody is the same and baby birds are like human babies and they need to be treated like individuals.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:59 am

I agree that the excessive yelling will take care of itself when this one receives what it needs. That is when it gets enough food, the right kind, and when it receive the comfort that it needs from its mama (you).
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby AmberH » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 pm

My eclectus is just now 7 months old. We got him at 3 months old and he did the same thing. I just continued to give him formula and warm soft food, he did grow out of it finally a few weeks ago
AmberH
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus: red-sided male
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training