Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Weird Behavior?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Weird Behavior?

Postby Rebellious » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 pm

So I got home from work today and tried to take my senegal Sissy out of her cage like I do every day(I hadn't taken her out that morning.) However, (*VERY* unusual for her) she hissed at me and lunged at my finger when I tried to take her out. I did nothing different at all, and Sissy is thirteen years old, so the "terrible twos" should not be it. I just find it really weird that she acted like this when I always take her out right after I get back from work. What could be wrong?
:senegal: Sissy
:senegal: Sammi
:cockatoo: Rebel
Rebellious
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrots, Sulfur Crested cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Weird Behavior?

Postby Weka » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Hum! Were you wearing anything different (hat/scarf/etc)? Also, were there any new or sudden sounds going on in the background that might've distressed her?

Skeeter gets weird if I'm wearing a poofy down jacket or snowpants, or if the washing machine is rumbling upstairs. Oh, and if it's too dim in the room for him to see me properly he gets a little spooked, as well.

Of course, sometimes a bird just doesn't want to come out. Just like us, sometimes they feel more sociable on some days more than others. If the behavior continues, though, there might be a deeper reason. Let us know how she does tomorrow...

Best,

Weka
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:02 pm

She could be hormonal. The season has started. My birds have all started producing sexual hormones and I've already found an egg in the canary hens flight cage, in the handicapped cockatiels one (laid by a 21 year old hen which, back in Aug/2012 when she first came to me, was suggested by my avian vet she be put to sleep due to her advanced liver and kidney damage!) and one broken on the floor laid by a 33 year old amazon hen which has a younger husband -LOL
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 am

Pajarita wrote:She could be hormonal. The season has started. My birds have all started producing sexual hormones and I've already found an egg in the canary hens flight cage, in the handicapped cockatiels one (laid by a 21 year old hen which, back in Aug/2012 when she first came to me, was suggested by my avian vet she be put to sleep due to her advanced liver and kidney damage!) and one broken on the floor laid by a 33 year old amazon hen which has a younger husband -LOL

I thought you had birds,,, not cougars.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:05 am

LOL - Animals are great that way, they don't care about age, looks or even handicaps. When they love, they love in the most pure way and their beloved is always absolutely perfect in their eyes. Having said that, Precie, the bird in question, is a very pretty lady, easy and outgoing, and a complete riot: "Have you been bad? UUUUUHHHH!" "Helloooooo, Hiiiiiii, you a poopy bird?" "UUUUUUHH, too bad, too bad, too bad. Too bad for you" (she says this when I scold another bird or ask them to get into a cage - "Come over here, boobie!" (she says this when I am coaxing the mean ones to take a treat from my hand) - "MMMMMM, lookie, lookie, lookie" (when I put out the food)- and lots of other stuff and Zeus, the boytoy and another Yellow Nape, which had been abused by his previous owner and was in bad need of love, couldn't resist her to the point that he fought her old husband for her a few months after they came to live with us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training