Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

PLEASE HELP!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

PLEASE HELP!!

Postby Megdez » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi! I have recently bought a white faced cockatiel on 2/20, he was around 12 weeks old then. I bought him from a mom and pop bird store. I have named him Tank and he seems like a nice sweet bird. I have had him for a little over 2 weeks now and he still will not come to me. I sit by his cage a couple times a day and talk to him and keep him company. I will open the cage door and slowly put my hand in there and he will eventually eat the treat that I am holding. He is still very skidish and will only take a few bites before he has had enough and runs off again. I have tried to move the treat so its closer to me but he just looks at it and will not make his way down to me. I worry Tank will never come around and always be afraid of me. I just want him to be able to come to me so I can take him places. I didn't buy a bird to just always be cooped up in is cage. I wanted the exact opposite, I want him to go just about everywhere with me and right now that doesn't look like it's going to ever happen. Any help would be very appreciated. Part of me just wants to reach in and take him from his cage but I know that will do more harm then good. I have read forums where people have had birds for a year or two and they have never come around. I worry this might happen. :greycockatiel:
Megdez
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: PLEASE HELP!!

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:40 pm

At this point in time patience is your best friend. Your bird will come out in its own time, but first it needs to feel secure. It doesn't know you yet and certainly has no reason to trust you. Give the bird time to adjust to you and its surroundings and above all do not attempt to force the issue. It will come together all in good time.

I have a 14 yr. old female amazon who after being here for about 2 months is only now beginning to come out of her cage and then only for a couple of minutes at any given time. She was not well treated and as a result is totally psychotic ( not a bird for a beginner such as I am ), but she is making progress and in time will heal, it just takes longer for birds that have been mistreated.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: PLEASE HELP!!

Postby Harpmaker » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Try sitting near his cage and reading a book so Tank can get used to you in a non-threatening situation. He's still a baby, so he will likely be looking for a substitute parent. And be patient. Two weeks is hardly any time at all. He may still be getting used to your house.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training