Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Grey parrot screams

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Grey parrot screams

Postby Posolonis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:23 am

Hello,

I got an african grey parrot since one month, she's 18 weeks old, and is trained, so she comes sit on my hand, step up etc. but since two days she's screaming all day, she's a lot out of her cage, actually always 5 hours or more on her java tree or with me, but now wherever she is, she always screams for attention and doesn't stop, I'm not sure what to do, anyone who can help? :)

Thanks in advance!
Posolonis
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Grey parrot
Flight: No

Re: Grey parrot screams

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:00 am

Will be happy to try to help you but we need more information than you have provided. The first thing that comes to mind with insufficient info is that the screaming may be that she is hungry, so what do you feed her, how much and how often.

Tell us more about your interaction with her. What about placement of her cage and about her surroundings.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:02 am

Will be happy to try to help you but we need more information than you have provided. The first thing that comes to mind with insufficient info is that the screaming may be that she is hungry, so what do you feed her, how much and how often.

Tell us more about your interaction with her. What about placement of her cage and about her surroundings.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Posolonis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:36 am

I don't really think it's because of the food, because when I just has her she sometimes was screaming a bit because she had no food, she's sitting on a java tree most of the day, and I take her with me too. But when no one is close to her, or someone walks out of the room she starts screaming. I have the idea that it has something to do with getting attention, but she always does it when someone leaves the room, or walks through a door. She gets nutri berries and fruit/vegetables and she always got food actually.. If I didn't mention something, please tell me :)
Posolonis
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 am

She needs soft food and she needs hand-feeding, nutriberries and veggies/fruits are fine but she needs baby food, not grown-up food so, yes, she could be hungry. Also, she is still a very young baby and babies need company 24/7, that's why she is screaming. In the wild, she would have her brothers and sisters cuddling next to her and both her parents with her 24/7/365. These are undomesticated, highly altricial animals so we need to be their parents and that means supplementing their food intake for months after they start eating on their own as well as keeping them close.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 pm

First of all your bird is still a baby and it needs different foods than an adult bird so I still think that she is hungry, try to give some mash made of cooked grains, fruit, and veggies. The fact that she calls when someone enters or leaves the room could be her asking them to feed her or it could be her needing attention as well because she is so young she is wired for company and in wild would never be alone this early in her life.

You keep bringing up that she sits in a Java tree a lot, as if this has some meaning. To me it does not but perhaps I am missing something. So I will ask, What is it with the Java tree?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Posolonis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:47 am

Wolf wrote:First of all your bird is still a baby and it needs different foods than an adult bird so I still think that she is hungry, try to give some mash made of cooked grains, fruit, and veggies. The fact that she calls when someone enters or leaves the room could be her asking them to feed her or it could be her needing attention as well because she is so young she is wired for company and in wild would never be alone this early in her life.

You keep bringing up that she sits in a Java tree a lot, as if this has some meaning. To me it does not but perhaps I am missing something. So I will ask, What is it with the Java tree?

I mention the Java tree, because my parrot is sitting there a lot, and she doesn't really wants to be on it, but rather in the cage, she screams when someone walks out of a room, or when she sees someone outside, when she's in the cage, she only screams when someone's walking outside.. maybe it's because she's still a baby, I take her with me everywhere I can.. So it could be that she just wants a lot of attention.
Posolonis
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 am

Thanks for the answer and now I understand how java tree fits in.

Your bird is not screaming for attention because it wants it, it is screaming for attention because it NEEDS the attention. She is still a baby and she is not supposed to be alone at all at this age. It is really a matter of both mental and emotional stability and well being, She TRUELY NEEDS the attention, nearly as much as she needs air to breathe! To deny this type of requirement is to create, at best, an unhappy, maladjusted bird along with the accompanying phobias and destructive behaviors ( plucking, screaming, self mutilation, etc. ) or an even more psychotic bird who may become dangerously aggressive towards any and everyone who comes near it.

This is a serious situation and needs to be addressed immediately and consistently. This happens in human children in much the same manner and creates the same aberrant behaviors. And we wonder why our children grow up with severe anxienty, severe depression and other forms of mental illnesses which could have been prevented but, instead we have high rates of suicide and children committing mass murders and so on.

Now I realize that your bird will not commit mass murder but the rest of it is not out of thy ordinary, we do have many insane birds who are dangerous to themselves and others in some of our bird sanctuaries. And it is easy to prevent.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Posolonis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 am

Wolf wrote:Thanks for the answer and now I understand how java tree fits in.

Your bird is not screaming for attention because it wants it, it is screaming for attention because it NEEDS the attention. She is still a baby and she is not supposed to be alone at all at this age. It is really a matter of both mental and emotional stability and well being, She TRUELY NEEDS the attention, nearly as much as she needs air to breathe! To deny this type of requirement is to create, at best, an unhappy, maladjusted bird along with the accompanying phobias and destructive behaviors ( plucking, screaming, self mutilation, etc. ) or an even more psychotic bird who may become dangerously aggressive towards any and everyone who comes near it.

This is a serious situation and needs to be addressed immediately and consistently. This happens in human children in much the same manner and creates the same aberrant behaviors. And we wonder why our children grow up with severe anxienty, severe depression and other forms of mental illnesses which could have been prevented but, instead we have high rates of suicide and children committing mass murders and so on.

Now I realize that your bird will not commit mass murder but the rest of it is not out of thy ordinary, we do have many insane birds who are dangerous to themselves and others in some of our bird sanctuaries. And it is easy to prevent.

Thank you! I see the danger of how worse it could get now, I had no idea.. I bought my bird in a shop specialized in parrots, they got everything for parrots, and they told me what I should give her, and what I should feed her etc. They said that I should spend a lot of time with my bird, but that I also have to put her on her tree for a while sometimes, so she gets used to the tree, and to prevent that she won't let me get in her territory anymore (cage)..
Posolonis
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:25 am

Putting her on the tree is fine, just try to do it when you are in the same room with her so that she can see and hear you. It provides for her sense of security and well being because she knows that she is not alone.
It can be tricky at times because she also needs to learn that you can't always be right there with her and when that is the case that you will return so everything is alright. When this happens she will likely scream for you so it is advisable to start slow and tell her bye-bye, I will be back ( or something of the sort ) then leave for 5 or 10 minutes and when you return make a little fuss telling her I'm home ( or similar ) gradually extending the time til you reach the normal time you would be absent. Please don't try to trick her by staying and pretending to be gone because she will know the truth.

The same holds true for time on her perch or tree, while she needs to be out a lot she also needs to allow you to go to other rooms or outside and you accomplish this in the same manner starting with a short time, letting her know you will be back soon and do your thing and greet her when you return, pet het so she feels secure that you are not abandoning her. During these times you can talk to her from wherever you are ( she knows you are there anyway ) and she will call and whistle to you in return maybe even talk to you. Treat it like a game especially made for her.

There is no single best way to do anything so feel to alter this or do it however it works best for you. Let us know how it goes.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training