Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Possible to potty train?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Possible to potty train?

Postby c_faith » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I have an 11 year old conure who I used to be able to keep out of his cage all day every day with no problem, he was only caged at night.

But I also a large rabbit condo in my room, he never used to go on it but ever since mid last year he's been flying on it & he poops all over it & I don't want my bunnies getting his poop stuck in their fur, which has happened a couple times. It's made of wood so its getting very stained. I now have to cage my conure whenever I'm out of my room for an hour or more. He knows I don't want him on it, he won't go on it if I'm in the room but I'll walk in & catch him flying off from it & there will be lots of poop everywhere.

I wouldn't mind him going on it if he wouldn't poop there, so I either need to train him to know he can never go on it, not even when I'm not there or train him that if he needs to poop, he needs to fly to his cage & do it. Any tips on how to train him to do one of the two?
c_faith
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-Throated Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Possible to potty train?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:04 pm

I don't believe in potty training birds, I think it's hugely detrimental to their health. Personally, I would opt for putting a washable and inexpensive cover on the rabbit cage.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby c_faith » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Unfortunately it's a rather large rabbit cage so I don't think I can cover it. I'll see if I can think of something else, thank you so much for your help :)
c_faith
Parrotlet

Postby c_faith » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Also, I was confused as to why it would be dangerous or harmful for a parrot to be potty trained so I looked it up a little just now. It's because they would have to hold it until told to go.

However, I wouldn't be training him that way. He would be able to go whenever he needed to but just as long as he flew to his cage to do it, not on my command so he wouldn't have to hold it. I hope that makes sense lol. If I trained him that way, it wouldn't be harmful then, right?
c_faith
Parrotlet

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:57 am

my :gcc: likes to fly down to the kitchen with me so to avoid poop on kitchen surfaces I got him a basket with a handle for him to perch on so he poops in the basket. maybe find a large basket with a handle or a table top java branch to put on the rabbit cage to catch the poop.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 am

I am sure that you could cover the top of your rabbit cage if you really wanted to. It is not difficult to measure the top of the cages length and width and go to like a home depot and get them to cut a piece of plywood to fit it.

I would suggest that you do so asap. I do not know about parrots but I suspect that for health purposes that they are a lot like chickens and it is not wise to let them poop on your rabbits or their cage. I used to raise rabbits commercially for food and rabbits are susceptible to avian borne diseases, which is a death sentence for the rabbits.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby c_faith » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:22 am

Thanks everyone!
Pennyandrocky - that sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try something like that.
The rabbit cage isn't a typical rabbit cage bought from the store, I am looking to get a top made for it but my parrot will hang on the side of it. I'd rather not have their cage covered all day if I can avoid that, as the rabbits are also chewers of fabric unfortunately :( Hopefully will try some other options first & see if that works. Really am not trying to be difficult or anything, promise!

Wolf - I didn't know that either! Glad I do now, thanks so much!
c_faith
Parrotlet

Postby marie83 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:56 am

What about an old bed sheet (or a new one if you prefer) that way you can wash it reguarly. I imagine you would get the same problem with the plywood staining if your bothered about how it looks. Alternatively a cut to size piece of perspex you can wipe down easily.

I tend to agree with pajarita regarding the potty training, all mine have pooped where ever including on me. Its not so much effort to clear it up and I know ollie in particular would try to hold it if he was in the middle of a cuddle/training session etc rather than fly back to the cage. I think if you are going to try though you need more than one place the bird is allowed to poop in case the cage isnt available for whatever reason (new cage, thorough cleaning, trip away, rehoming etc). Plus theres a chance that the potty trainjng rules when your there just wont apply in your birds eyes when you leave the room just like the out of bounds rabbit house lol.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Return to Taming & Basic Training