Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to let your bird hold him?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

How to let your bird hold him?

Postby Faraaz » Sun May 04, 2014 7:43 am

My bird can wave, target and step up since I got him 3 weeks ago but now I want to hold him. I started to put my hand close to him and give him treats but that never worked. Help me.
Faraaz
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: How to let your bird hold him?

Postby Michael » Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 am

Patience again. Keep your gand further away then till he's comfortable. You got my book, right? Reread the section anout grab training and slowly apply it. Not gonna happen overnight.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 04, 2014 9:00 am

Michael, the girl has a budgie and they HATE been held, if she tries to do it, he will be extremely stressed out. A poi or a conure will learn not to mind it but a budgie is a different story.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Faraaz » Sun May 04, 2014 9:03 am

Pajarita wrote:Michael, the girl has a budgie and they HATE been held, if she tries to do it, he will be extremely stressed out. A poi or a conure will learn not to mind it but a budgie is a different story.

Im not a girl. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Faraaz
Cockatiel

Postby Faraaz » Sun May 04, 2014 9:06 am

Pajarita wrote:Michael, the girl has a budgie and they HATE been held, if she tries to do it, he will be extremely stressed out. A poi or a conure will learn not to mind it but a budgie is a different story.

See how this girl in Michael's video holds her budgie. How does she do it? The same way in the book?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-8WHd50bQ8

Faraaz
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sun May 04, 2014 10:58 am

Yes, you would do it the same way, but please be aware that she is only holding her bird that way to place him where she wanted him. It could have been done just as easily by stepping the bird up onto her hand and moving him while he perched there.
Still, it is a good thing for the bird to know and allow at least for short periods of time. Go for it!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training