Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My conure keeps biting us!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

My conure keeps biting us!

Postby ekongshavn » Mon May 05, 2014 10:25 am

I have a 8 month old conure, and she is really tame but she has started to bite quiet alot. And it really hurts!

She usually nimbles, but she looooves to bite peoples fingers and eyelids :shock: , I'm not sure how to stop this behaviour??

I "yell" "stop biting!" and "no biting!". Most of the time she stops, and crawls up to your face and gives you a kiss.

Should I put her back into her cage? A woman in the pet store said I should close her beak...but I don't think that's a very nice thing to do to your pet. :shock:
ekongshavn
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pearly conure
Flight: Yes

Re: My conure keeps biting us!

Postby Wolf » Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 am

Conures can get a bit bitey for sure, but so do most of the others.
Don't loose your cool, When she bites gently tell her "no bite" or something similar. I have two , " no bite' and " gentle '. which one I use depends on the type of biting that is happening, I have a Senegal. The thing is to be consistent with your phrase and not get excited. Also, when I say 'no bite' I move either my hand or the bird which ever is most convenient or appropriate to the situation. If you move the bird just set her beside you. Have patience and repeat as needed, there are no quick fixes for this.
Do not put the bird in her cage for this, her cage is her safe place and should never be used for punishment or you run the risk of her avoiding going into it. Also holding and or closing the birds beak in this circumstance is abuse and should never be done.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training