Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Daily routine #2

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Daily routine #2

Postby jancijen » Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 am

Continue to the http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11012

Hello again... so today my parrot was outside for about 20 mins and we was only target training, i think he is doing it well now but there is stil one problem... I have straight perch and while holding it my lovie is doing "like click sound" and he is gonna to my hand like wanna bite it :( and also what to do when he wanna be always on the top of my head ? :D

Thanks in advance :)
jancijen
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Daily routine #2

Postby Wolf » Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 am

Hi and welcome back;
Most of the time the clicking sound that he is making is a happy sound, so I would think of it as a good thing. If you think that he is going to bite you, try touching his head and gently say " no bite". See if that helps.
The head thing is a whole different type of thing and is much harder to change. They just love landing and sitting on your head. You remove them by asking them to step up or in your case try to target him to another place. Or you can wear a hat so that he doesn't poop on your head. I will not promise that anything will stop it for a very long time ,unless you find something that he doesn't like that you can put on your head when he is out.
My Senegal has been landing on my head every chance she gets for over a year. I can shake my head and tell her to get off my head, she usually will climb down to my shoulder, but the next time she flies to me she heads for my head. Sometimes I wear a hat. It doesn't stop her from landing on my head but it is easy to remove her by taking the hat off and stepping her to my hand. Sometimes I duck so that she misses my head and lands on my shoulder or back but, so far my head is still her preferred landing area. Many times I also put my arm up over my head so that I can catch her on it. So far nothing works to deter her from my head.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby jancijen » Tue May 06, 2014 9:39 am

It never mind for me, but i dont wanna have poops on my head :D I think it is bad this clicking... cause he does it when i try to come to him and so on... (btw he wasnt outside for about week and today for half hour :/ ) but when i hold perch and while he is not target training or just eating millet he goes to my hand... :( so i dont know ..
jancijen
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Tue May 06, 2014 10:30 am

The only thing that I can think of is that you haven't done The first things that I told you to do properly. Based on what you are saying this little bird has no trust in you. The only way to create a bond and trust is to sit down in front of it's cage and talk to it in a soft tone of voice. you must do this until he comes over to you of it's own volition. It makes no difference how long it takes, there is just no other way that will work to accomplish this.
I know that it is not as rewarding to you as getting it to do things. But to be honest, creating a bond and a basis of trust is not about you. It is all about the bird and there are no shortcuts to this. I have tried to give you all of the help that is possible, other people have also tried to help you with this. You have been able to bribe this bird into doing some things for you, but without creating this bond, without the trust it will not give much more. You are at that place when you have to start caring about the bird.
I have told you how to build a strong bond with this bird, I have told you that this bird requires a certain amount of time out of the cage as well as a certain minimum amount of time with you each and every day. How do you propose to build a bond with this bird when you won't even put in the small amount of effort that it takes to open its door, or to just sit and talk to it while you are sitting down watching TV?
You need to make up your mind to treat this bird right, to give it the love and respect that it deserves, or you need to find it a home with someone who will appreciate this marvelous creature. Someone who will love it and care for it and the little bit of attention that it requires. You have to decide what you want and what you will give to have that.
If you decide that you want this bird then I will try again. We will start all over again and win its trust before anything else. Excuses for not treating the bird right are not acceptable to me and they should not be acceptable to you, if you actually cars about this bird. Let me know.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby jancijen » Wed May 07, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks again and thanks for your patience :) So i should now sit near him and talk to him?
jancijen
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed May 07, 2014 10:47 am

Yes ! Talk to him in a soft voice, let him come to you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training