Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Intense budgie RAGE! Advice appreciated

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Intense budgie RAGE! Advice appreciated

Postby Olivia Bird » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:11 am

Anyone who has experience rehabilitating a really aggressive bird, particularly a small one, please share your insight.

I was recently 'donated' an astoundingly beautiful and complicated little hen budgie to join my flock of 6 budgies and live in their large flight. I took her on as a, 'I'll see what I can do', project as I feel I have the potential to offer her a better life. In her previous home she was isolated in a tiny cage without any company and her people became too frightened to open her cage. Right now I have her separated in a large quarantine cage, in the same room my other budgies free-fly, while we get a handle on her issues.

A little back story. This bird was hand-fed from a young age and loved on pretty intensely. The owner has had other handfed budgies in the past from the same breeder. However, at what I'm guessing coincided with sexual maturity, this budgie started nipping. I don't know if it started as play nips or fear, and I don't know how they responded. But where it is now is pretty extreme. This bird is completely keyed into you, so if you walk past her she will follow you along the cage bars, reaching as much a possible. If you walk away she'll scream. Although I have not given her the chance to chomp my flesh in a serious way, I have no doubt she will. The second her cage is opened she'll be on you (she is flighted), looking for flesh to bite. From the complete mutilation of everything in her cage and her terrified ex owners, I'll wager it's a hard bite.

So here's where I am with her now. I've been transitioning her from an all seed diet to a pellet and fresh food/sprouted diet so I can use dry seed as a reward. She is a fast learner. She's mostly transitioned and is very motivated for spray millet as a reward. I have taught her to target which she does with gusto. I have also given her a number of food puzzle toys and shredding toys to help her with her energy, which is abundant. My budgies are greeting her through her cage everyday, although I haven't let them loose together yet. I want to start soon but she just passed two eggs, and my other hen is also laying, so I am waiting for them both to cycle through that to a lower hormonal point first. I have let her out of her cage a few times with me. She will fly to me instantly and start searching my body, it seems to be curious and playful (and probably was once) but I know she's looking for somewhere to bite. I've had the foresight to wear a wool hoody at this stage while handling her to avoid the flesh chewing. I've gotten her to move from (covered) arm to arm, back in and out of the cage with the target.

But where to go from here? She is completely motivated to be attentive to me and work with me. But without a barrier, cage, clothing etc. she seems absolutely driven to find people and bite them. I have been given aggressive birds before but the aggression was always defensive/fear based and faded when they realized they won't be forced to step up etc. I've never had a bird simultaneously desperate for human company that wants to drive away every person around. The best word I can think of to describe her is 'rage'.

Any advice? Stay the course and wait for improvement? Train her to do some tricks? Any specific advice for what to do if and when bitten?

I should mention I have had her on my bare hand once in her cage. She didn't "seem to notice' that she was standing on my hand to eat millet. But within a few minutes her eating went from normal too 'furious', where she started ripping chunks of millet and then turned to go for my hand.

edited to ad: I have no expectations of her other than wanting to give her a better life integrated with other budgies if possible. However since my budgies are all free flighted and friendly, I would be nice to be able to have her with them, and not having her flying for my face each morning when I walk into their flight to clean and feed. :budgie:
Olivia Bird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: eclectus, budgies, cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Intense budgie RAGE! Advice appreciated

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 am

I do not have any budgies and only recently acquired a parrotlet hen, everyone else in my flock is much larger. There you have my only disclaimer.
I am going to recommend that first you remove all protein from her diet immediately. The second thing it to get her on a solar lighting schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk and strictly enforce it. and third get her to flying .
Based on what you have presented here, I am thinking that this " rage " is pain driven. I suspect that if you will take her in to an avian vet for x rays that they will find abnormally enlarged sexual organs. And yes I am recommending a visit to the vet for x rays.
Pajarita has much more experience then I do in this area, so if she has different recommendations then I suggest that you go with hers.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Intense budgie RAGE! Advice appreciated

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:56 am

She is most likely overly hormonal if she has not been kept at a strict solar schedule but the hormone-driven aggression will abate on its own in a couple of months at the most so I would not worry much over this.

Personally, I would just let her out once quarantine is over, let her join the flock and leave it at that. Budgies are flock oriented and as soon as she finds her place in it and her hormones stop flowing, she will slowly forget about her rage against humans. At least, that has been my experience with the little ones. I never really try to do anything with them but give them good food (I don't like pellets, I don't think the are the best food for parrots), good light, a good light schedule and a flock and leave it at that - and it has always worked.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training