Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The screaming macaw

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

The screaming macaw

Postby aubreyc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:41 pm

I have had my Nef since she was 3 months old. She has always been a little loud of course, but never like this. She screams a lot now. If we go in the kitchen, she screams, even though she can see us completely. When we both are not in the living room where her cage is, she screams. This I know is her just looking for her flock. When we leave she screams. And she screams for no reason. When she acts like this, we put her back and cover her up. After about 15 minutes or so she calms down and we uncover her. Often times though, this will repeat 3 or 4 times where she will be quiet for 10-20 minutes and then start all over.

I wouldn't mind it so much, but we recently got a letter from the HOA giving us a "courtesy" notice about the noise. I'm worried it will get us evicted before we can find a new place.

Nef is about tp be 8 years old, so I don't know if some of her recent screaming is just a puberty thing or what. My boyfriend (who she adores) and I aren't always home all the time, but we always make sure she gets out for a minimum of 30 minutes (which isn't a lot I know, but she is blessed to have an extremely large cage with toys) a day. I'm trying to include as much information as possible.

If anyone has any suggestions as to why she is acting out like this, or what I can do to start curbing this behavior I would greatly appreciate it.
aubreyc
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw
Flight: No

Re: The screaming macaw

Postby Suzzique » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:03 am

Gee aren't HOA's just so great? NOT! Now 30 minutes is really not enough out of cage time and could be part of the problem. I realize that people work ect can't always be home. But when you are home the bird should be out. Also when you have to leave the room even if she can see you talk to her. When she yells call back. When my birds start contact calling I always answer with "I'm right here". It might take a few times but then they are happy and stop.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: The screaming macaw

Postby Kathleen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 am

Does your bird know how to mimic words? If not, consider trying to teach it to mimic words (Or to whistle, or make a more enjoyable sound). If the bird is conditioned to getting attention for talking instead of screaming, it will probably talk more and scream less, and I believe talking is a more quiet and bearable sound.

Unfortunately, I think macaws are best kept in homes that are not in proximity of many other people. :(
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training