Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

WHY NOBODY USES FALCON HOODS FOR PARROTS?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: WHY NOBODY USES FALCON HOODS FOR PARROTS?

Postby Charly_20 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Very interesting topic, even so old, there is still not much of information. One new fact is, that Falcons has a lot in common with parrots. Have related DNA and if you start looking, it is visible how close some species are. Falcons supposed to have a lot more in common with parrots then with eagles and Hawks.
Question: did anyone try a faclonry hiode on a parrot? For the falcons this practice seems to work well and the bird likely does not care. Parrots on the other hand are quite different level of behavior in many aspects. I can only say, that once it is dark, the parrot calms down and goes to it's night time. G
Charly_20
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, African Grey,
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:23 am

The point is that there is no need whatsoever to use a hood on parrot. On birds of prey it's done because they could take flight if they see prey (they are predators, parrots are not), they could go after other birds (they are not social species but territorial) and they can really hurt you if they get overly excited but, aside from the occasional bad bite to the face that a mal-adjusted parrot can give you, putting a hood on a parrot would serve no purpose whatsoever... it would just disturb the bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Daminou » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:22 am

Hello everybody.

Before having a Parrot i was doing falconry and as Pajarita already explained pretty well the reason why you don't put a hood on a parrot it is mainly because you don't need to and also one is a bird of prey and the other one is a prey.

The way a prey think is very different as a predator do. The reason we put the hood on a bird of prey is to avoid getting hurt but mainly to avoid having the bird get hurt when he is attached carried or held on the glove.
A bird of prey is coming to you because you have food and because he is trusting you but once the bird is fed enough he will refuse to fly back because in the nature when they are fed they will try not to spend too much energy and better to keep it for the next time they will need the strength to hunt again. A bird of prey nearly never fly " for fun " but because he needs it for survival.
So to fly a bird of prey you need to have it on the right weight and when he is on his right weight he is hungry so he wants to hunt. because of that he is potentially dangerous for you and can take decisions that his belly and instinct commands. To avoid any of this behaviour a hood helps the bird to be more calm until you let him fly.

You must also know that the hoods are mostly used on birds that are used for hunting and less for the birds you are using for shows. Simply because the birds for shows are more tamed and also because they are not used to hunt for food and they know they will get it from the human after having done the right thing.

I hope I have been able to help answering the question and sorry for my way of writing in English i am a french speaker normally.
Daminou
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Severe Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:31 am

First of all, your English is PERFECT! And secondly, thank you so much for giving us the answer from the perspective of somebody who has personal experience and knowledge about the subject.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trishgal » Sun May 29, 2022 7:26 pm

GREAT information for me in this thread! Thank you all! I was wondering about this. I have a wonderful bird companion. A large female Sulfur Crested Cockatoo. I'm autoimmune disabled and pretty weak from it. My Sugar lives in her cage close to me. I let her out and spend loving time with her every day possible. I have two nice travel cages but now they're heavy to me. I want to be able to take her outside to the porch with me to get a little sun, and just to have the pleasure of being outside. I was wondering about the possibility of getting her a hood and some type of leg harness to keep her with me that she won't rip to shreds and then fly off and be killed by a hawk or an owl. I got her an aviator suit several years ago, but it really was too small and she hated it. Looks like I'll have to just try again, and make sure I'm sent the right size! Your answers made perfect sense, so I believe I found the right place here.
Trishgal
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 30, 2022 8:16 am

Hi, Trish and LSC, welcome to the forum. I am glad we could be of help but, if I were you, I would get a harness in the right size. Leg leashes are actually quite dangerous for birds but harnesses are not.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training