Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

trying to target train

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

trying to target train

Postby kimbo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:56 pm

everytime i put a stick near chico :senegal: he bites it and doesnt want to let go. so how do i get him to just touch it? have taught him a few tricks but the target training he just wont do. :(
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Re: trying to target train

Postby bmsweb » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 pm

I had the same issue when I first started teaching Jazz to target. You've actually taught him to bite the stick, seriously! I know because I did the same.

When he first started doing target training, I would let him bite the stick and this is the habit he got into. It became a problem when he wouldn't let go.

It wont take long to get him out of the habit. All you need to do is click the clicker just before he bites it and take it away and give treat. After a few goes of this, slowly allow him to touch the stick. He will get the idea.

Good luck.
Last edited by bmsweb on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Right on bmsweb. Very good. Another thing that should keep the parrot's mind off of destroying the stick is the advancing treat after the stick has been touched. If the parrot is motivated enough by treats enough it will let go of the stick to get the treat. If it would rather play with the stick then get the treat then it isn't hungry and the training session should not be taking place.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby kimbo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:06 pm

thanks for the advice. i will try it again and keep you posted though i dont use a clicker. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Return to Taming & Basic Training