Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ringneck parrot

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Ringneck parrot

Postby Sonia mcgrath » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:26 am

I've adopted a 2 year old ringneck parrot she was kept in her cage all the time with a cover over the cage 24/7. I've had her 3 weeks she will take food out of my hand now & will sit looking at me all the time I let her out of her cage every day she sits on the top of her cage she does fly around the room abit but will not let me pet her or will not step up & when I try she will bite but not hard. What do I do to get her trust ? So she will step up
Sonia mcgrath
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Ringneck parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:30 am

Basically, you need to continue to let her out daily as well as offer her treats from your hand. From there just take the time to hang out with her and talk to her . I would suggest about 15 minutes, at least twice a day, to just talk to her, read her a book, anything so that she gets accustomed to your voice and toss in some good birds and things like that. This will also help to reassure the bird. hold off on training per se for at least a couple of weeks and concentrate on relationship and trust. In a couple of weeks when you ask her to step up show her a treat and hold it so she can get it if she steps up onto your hand, even if she doesn't do this at first, find a way to give her the treat anyway. Have lots and lots of patience and don't push her, you have all the time you need.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Ringneck parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 am

Oh, my dear, I hope you have experience handling IRNs, lots of time on your hands and the patience of Job because you have your work cut out for you. Ringnecks (both African and Indian) are very well known for reverting to wild ways when not handled regularly and by somebody who knows what they are doing. They are also quite stubborn when you want to 'retame' them... But it's not impossible! The system is the same as with any other unfriendly bird and as Wolf detailed: as many number of 15 minute sessions as you can fit in the day (but never during meal time -sunrise and sunset- or during noon rest time), rigorous schedule (always the same thing at the same time), good diet, time out of cage, one-on- one, etc. Let us know how it goes and thank you for adopting this poor, neglected and, most likely, depressed bird!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training