Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wing flipping/stretching

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Wing flipping/stretching

Postby polishbirdiemom » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 pm

I am new to this, and there are a couple behaviors I have questions about. My 7 month old Hahns macaw does this little stretch thing, almost like yoga. He stands on one foot and reaches the other foot way behind him and holds his wing half open, then he switches sides. Is this just a stretch or is is some body language that I am not catching on to? Also, he will get on the side of his cage, turn completely upside down, and flap his wings like crazy for a few seconds then he will squawk quietly, and try to vocalize, and then when I vocalize back to him, he will flip upside down and flip and flap his wings again. He has been with us for 3 days, and was fully flighted proir to being shipped to us. Thank you in advance for any help.
polishbirdiemom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Wing flipping/stretching

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:18 pm

All parrots do the stretch and the flapping. It's just like an exercise they do.

As for the clipping, it's a shame that you had it clipped but if you are inexperienced there may have been no other way. Luckily the bird knows how to fly and would probably pick up quickly after the next molt. I highly recommend you look into our flight tricks and freeflight sections to learn more about flying parrots at home.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby polishbirdiemom » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:00 am

I am inexperienced.....this is my first exotic, I have only had one other bird, a budgie.... but I do desire to allow him to be flighted again. I will check out the threads you mentioned, thank you!
polishbirdiemom
Parakeet

Postby Suzzique » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:35 pm

The first thing you described is nothing more than what you think a strech. This is totally normal.

The second one sounds like it is just something fun that he likes to do. While not all birds will do stuff like that it is nothing to worry about.

Alex loves to sit on my hand flip upside down and normally will preen. Sometimes he will flap his wings or strech. He will also filp and I will swing him saying Weee while walking with him back to his cage when I have to leave. It makes having to go into his cage fun.

We also have a game that he mostly made up when he was a young baby. I will flip him upside down over a table and he will strech down and pick up a toy and I will flip him back up. He loves this. I work with him on his colors this way. I have some of the baby links that are solid colors and will have 3 different ones for him to pick from. I tell him what color I want him to get when I filp him. If he gets the right color I get excited and tell him Woo-Hoo! good bird. He made up the game I just use it to teach colors while having fun. :D

While it is to bad that your baby was clipped it's not permiment. The flights will molt out. In the mean time it will let you and your baby get to know each other better and earn each others trust.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby polishbirdiemom » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks for your encouragement. I think that it must be a playful thing, he seems to be very playful and so far I have not noticed any negative attention seeking behaviors. I am so excited about being able to play with my little guy, I know it takes lots of time and attention. I just want him to be excited about it too! I think he is settling in nicely, and I cant wait to build that trust so that we can play games and I can teach him things.
polishbirdiemom
Parakeet

Postby Suzzique » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 pm

There are plenty of little things that you can work on now that will help lots later. Such as when he is sitting on your hand stroke his toes with your thumb. This will get him use to having his toes touched. While Alex doesn't need me to any more I feel better by holding his toes with my thumb when he flips. He is less likely to fall. The more you handle your bird the better. Don't wait to long to start training. He will most likely catch on quicker than you think. :D
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Return to Taming & Basic Training