Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

bonding with conure

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

bonding with conure

Postby kerrymanser123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 am

I am getting a maroon bellied conure in the next couple of days and would anybody be able to advise me on the best ways to bond with him?
he is about 3 years old, his current owner isnt sure of his age but i have been told he never bites and will sit on your hand so overall a friendly bird.
I would like to know what i should do to gain his trust when i get him, i am looking to teach a few tricks but not sure if this will be possible since he has been sat in a cage for a while and does not currently know any tricks plus because of his age.
I would like to do clicker training with him.
Any ideas of how to get him to get used to me?
please reply
kerry.
kerrymanser123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: african grey
Flight: Yes

Re: bonding with conure

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 am

Even if you have a tame bird, I highly suggest you follow my step up/basic training article. If the bird is tame you should be able to breeze right through this. But doing it this way both guarantees that you won't overwhelm and scare the bird and it will teach it the basic skills for further training. If the bird is so tame that you can easily/safely take it out of its cage. Take it out and put it on a training stand and then follow all of the same steps as outlined in the course.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: bonding with conure

Postby kerrymanser123 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 am

thank you for your reply.
i dont know how tame he is yet. owner said he has never viciously bit someone before so dont need to worry about him biting me hopefully but i dont know if he knows how to step up or anything so i will try teaching him that first, then move on to more tricks when he is confident with me.
kerrymanser123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: african grey

Return to Taming & Basic Training