Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please Aid

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Please Aid

Postby Lisa89 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 am

Hello all,

I'm really looking for help which I can't find in many places at all. I'm currently the owner of two parrots, a beautiful male :amazon: and a beautiful female :gray: . I've never had any problems with the :gray: and she gets along with my whole family since I got her from a baby.

My :amazon: however comes from a bad background. My parents saved him when I was only 11 and didn't understand parrots much. He comes from a background of abuse and when we got him he was afraid of everything but over the years I've been with him constantly and he now only allows me to feed him, water him and go near his cage. If anyone else goes near his cage he will instantly squawk and go for them. He's out every day but is still extremely timid and should anyone go near the cage but me he will just fly. I've been trying to tame him for a long time now and he will give kisses (only through his cage) and offer one of his feet. Anything else he will begin getting very afraid.

It's a hard circumstance I'm in as I don't want him to live in fear of coming out his cage for getting hurt when he comes out and don't want him fearful of everyone. Right now because of how he is everyone is always playing with my :gray: and ignoring the :amazon: . I find this hurtful as we've had the :amazon: a lot longer, but it seems nobody but me wants to take the time and effort with him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

xxx
Lisa89
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Orange Winged Amazon, African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Please Aid

Postby Suzzique » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am

I would try the clicker training with your amazon. It helps build thier confidence and can make them much more social.

I'm working with Martini my senegal to help with bitting issues he has with me. Then I'm working with Alex my grey just because he is such a smarty pants. It can be slow going so don't give up. I'm still trying to get Martini to take treats much less do anything else. But I will get there. :) I even do some of Alex's training in the living room and Martini will fly down to watch. I'm hoping for a bit of the monkey see monkey do kind of thing. :D

I know Michael has some really good posts on how to get started.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training