Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

reducing food--as training method

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: reducing food--as training method

Postby Exitos872 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:01 am

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 11.0% min
Crude Fat 6.0% min
Crude Fiber 3.5% max
Moisture 12.0% max
Ingredients: Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soy Meal, Soy Oil, Dried Bell Peppers, Dried Cabbage, Dried Peaches, Dried Apricots, Dried Plums, Dried Tomatoes, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Niacin, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide (carrier for liquid antioxidants), Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca shidigen Extract, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Dried Yeast, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Source of Vitamin B12), Sodium Selenite (on Calcium Carbonate), Propionic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Tartaric Acid, and Natural Apple Flavoring.

So horrable!
Exitos872
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: lovebird, conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Exitos872 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:04 am

The only legitimate argument ive seen is wolfs. I cant say I'm upset your done with me Para. Im still trying to figure out where i said the things you say i guess i impied i said?
Last edited by Exitos872 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby liz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 am

Hookturn wrote:I'm a new parrot owner (well owner doesn't sound right cause I'm sure he owns me) so take this for what it's worth. The people on this forum have your little guy's best interest at heart. Sometimes the delivery might seem harsh or insensitive but believe me regardless of the delivery they do have good advice particularly when it comes to nutrition. I've had my share of disagreements with folks here but I do know that regardless of their position they do want the best for my little buddy.

There really is some good advice here on the best food for your little one. Whether you take the advice or not is up to you but know that the advice is given in your birds best interest. As for me, I would rather my conure get a "base diet" that is grains rice veggies fruits etc. than pellets. But I do give mine pellets too in the evening.

And I could be wrong but it sounded like you said your bird won't eat much of the fruits and veggies you provide. Might I suggest that is because your bird has a choice between eating those healthy options or the pellets. I don't know very much about birds but I can tell you that my little one would go for pellets every time given the choice. Just like my 8 year old would go for chocolate cake for breakfast over any healthy option if given the choice. You're the parent and as such you decide what's best.
Again, you can choose to follow the advice given or not. But please don't make your decision based on the tone or method in which the advice is given. Everyone here just wants you to have a happy healthy well-adjusted friend.

We all put our birdy babies well being and care before our own (I drink tap water but my babies all get bottled spring water). That being said, we care about the other kids in our neighborhood too. All we want is the best for all of them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:20 am

Exitos872 wrote:Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 11.0% min
Crude Fat 6.0% min
Crude Fiber 3.5% max
Moisture 12.0% max
Ingredients: Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soy Meal, Soy Oil, Dried Bell Peppers, Dried Cabbage, Dried Peaches, Dried Apricots, Dried Plums, Dried Tomatoes, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL-Methionine, L-Arginine, Niacin, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide (carrier for liquid antioxidants), Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca shidigen Extract, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Dried Yeast, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Cyanocobalamin (Source of Vitamin B12), Sodium Selenite (on Calcium Carbonate), Propionic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Acetic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Tartaric Acid, and Natural Apple Flavoring.

So horrable!

Yes !! This has soy in three different forms, soy meal, soy oil and lecithin. I know that there is a percentage of animals of all types including humans and birds that have allergic reactions to soy and soy products. And then for me there are issues with the artificial vitamins and minerals, which I believe are not as good for the bird as the ones found in normal foods. These two things and the total lack of moisture are the main reasons that I prefer to not use pellets for my birds.
I do have to admit that they are more convenient to use. I am not trying to change your mind as to what you do, but I am trying to explain my reasoning to you, I really do appreciate your feedback to it as, just like most of the people who post on here I don't feel that I know enough and am trying to have a decent conversation of the pros and cons of this issues, and whether you agree or not I value your input.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Exitos872 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Wolf
I do agree with you that on the perfect situation. That a bird likes a well balanced natural meal and you as a human ( or birdie daddy )know for sure what exactly what amounts of what your bird needs to intake to maintain the correct things in blood levels and that your bird was going to consume all of each thing he needs every day. Then yes you would be 100000% correct and i would agree with that 100%. My view is that the chances of my bird consuming 100% of what he is fed. If i was to figure out what foods contain what and what amount he needs each day to main healthy bloodlevels and not too much of something to lead to toxic levels and to little to lead to defcientcies. Well in roudybush im sure of certain levels. My bird has been eating it for months with no alergic reactions that i can see. His blood levels came back perfect from the vet. He is very energetic. I dont read bird minds but i think hes pretty happy, and he LOVES the california blend.
Like i said this is NOT his sole food, he is offered veggies and the sort on a daily basis also. So my view is the well rounded composition of the roudybush used as a base diet (as long as the bird doesnt have allergies to it) with fruits and veggies also offered vs giving the bird the choice to throw the carrots out of his bowl and eating all the broccoli (thus getting the benefits from just the broccoli and none from the carrot) outweighs the synthetic vs natural argument to me.
Exitos872
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:40 pm

That is reasonable.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal