Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Behavior advice - adopted CAG

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Behavior advice - adopted CAG

Postby africandreams » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:27 pm

I posted a couple of weeks ago about the CAG we just adopted from his previous home of 12 years. He had started to pluck a few days after we got him and bite. I did take him to the vet and he got a clean bill of health. He is still plucking some I think, its hard to tell. All of the feathers are gone with just the down remaining and it looks "mangled". He still seems to be doing well otherwise, eating, talking etc. My questions now are....Regurgitation? I know this is supposed to be a sign of love and he has done this a couple of times now. Once in his cage when I was talking to him and today when he was setting on the couch. He bobs his head up and down and regurgitates a little in his mouth. I am hoping this is a good sign, that he likes me, but he is still biting me. He obviously wants my attention. He comes over to me and lets me scratch is neck for a long time and always lifts his foot like he wants to step up. Even when I am scratching his neck he will always raise his foot way up around trying to get my hand. The first few times he bit me he was in his cage and acted like he was going to step up and then would bite me really hard. The next time he was seting next to me on the couch eating some treats, he walked over to me and just bit me on the arm really hard. Then the other day he was on the couch and I was siting in the floor. He acted as though he wanted down there with me so I held my hand out for him to step up and he got me again, each time hard enough to lightly break the skin. I dont nderstand if he loves me enough to regurgitate, why does he keep biting me? And if HE is actively trying to reach out to me to step up on his own, why does he then bite me when I try to let him?
africandreams
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Re: Behavior advice - adopted CAG

Postby Suzzique » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:55 am

Ignore him when he regurgitats. Dont take it nothing. But yes it can be a good sign.

Now sense you have only had him a few weeks it will be hard to know what is normal right now. It is breeding season and our birds do some wierd things sometimes. But extra aggression is one that a lot of birds will do this time of the year. The only thing I can say about the bits is take them and don't react to them. He will get the idea that bitting wont get him anywere and will stop. The feather plucking could be connected to breeding season as well. Or just the stress of going to a new home.

Some things that you can do that might help slow down or stop the plucking. Lots of baths. Aloe vera juice misted to get his skin wet. Make sure it is the juice which can be found in most health food stores and not the gel stuff you get for sunburns. It's really good for his skin. Also add red palm oil to his diet. Red palm nuts are a major part of wild greys diet. It is really good for his skin and feathers.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training