Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Getting over fear of hands

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Getting over fear of hands

Postby dragonsong » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:40 am

Popping in with an update.....about three days after I posted this he decided STEPPING UP is cool and so are cheek scritchies! CRAZY progress and I really didn't change much...I guess he just needed time? At any rate now that he lets me touch him I think I'll start preparing for harness training and I have actually started some target training sessions, he's just really hard to 'treat' because he changes it up all the time...he was going nuts for sunflower seeds, then it was weaning pellets, and now it's pasta.
dragonsong
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Good to hear that you are making progress.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:51 am

I got a question for you wolf?? I have a sun conure he's 4, his cage is in my room!! I can't work right now because of on going back issues but I spend probably 90% of my time with my buddy so I guess my main concern would be his sleeping cycle because I do have a blanket over the only window in NY room so its hard to tell day from night. I'm going to take it down so he can tell day from night but could that be a main problem in his mood swings most of the time??? he's on a good regimen diet. THANKS!! SORRY FOR INTERRUPTING YOU GUYS!!!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:52 am

sunconuresunny00 wrote:I got a question for you wolf?? I have a sun conure he's 4, his cage is in my room!! I can't work right now because of on going back issues but I spend probably 90% of my time with my buddy so I guess my main concern would be his sleeping cycle because I do have a blanket over the only window in NY room so its hard to tell day from night. I'm going to take it down so he can tell day from night but could that be a main problem in his mood swings most of the time??? he's on a good regimen diet. THANKS!! SORRY FOR INTERRUPTING YOU GUYS!!!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Although I do not think that the blanket over the window is the main reason for your birds moodiness, it does have a strong impact on him as parrots are photoperiodic. What this means, very basically is that light is the primary control in his reproductive cycle. So the real reason for his mood swings is that he is overly hormonal, in my opinion.

I had noticed that you also started your own topic and have read it before answering your question here and if it is ok with you, I am going to switch to your topic to provide you with more information as well as to answer your questions there. Thank you for allowing me to help you with this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training