Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

She bit me !

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: She bit me !

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:32 am

So that I can compare the nutritional values of what you get and can get against what the birds need so that you can give maybe a more balanced diet. I often go to sites like this one in my attempts to learn more. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cer ... ta/10352/2
Although we mostly keep it simple and speak mostly about proteins and fat in our birds diets it is also important to look at the other values as well. Where we often eat beans or rice neither is a complete protein but beans and rice in the same dish or meal does give a complete protein. Protein are used mostly as building blocks for repairing the body, but also have other functions as well, one of these is as an energy source. Carbohydrates are the bodies main fuel source, so carbs are primarily an energy source. I think that we need to balance these in the diet as too much carbs can lead to a bird getting fat since it has more energy calories than it can use, this would mean that the bird may need less protein in its diet as more of it would be stored as fat in the liver or could be freed up for producing hormones. So what may appear to be the result of too much protein may actually be the result of too many carbs.
This is just the tip of what I am still learning and that is not even going into the balance required in the area of vitamins and minerals.
I already know that you try very hard to keep the protein level down and yet your bird and other peoples as well keep going into breeding condition out of season. Light and protein are the easiest to control but I do not believe that they are the whole story. So if I can get a list of what grains you normally buy or what is available to you I may be able to give you some suggestions. For instance you are listing both steel cut oats and oat groats in your list of grains, my understanding is that oat groats are basically the whole oat seed while steel cut oats are a rough cut oat so nutritionally speaking they would be the same So I would suggest that you use only one of them or combine them so that you only use the same amount for them together as you use for just one of them sort of instead of 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and 1/2 cup of oat groats, use 1/2 cup of them combined. And then add in a different unrelated grain.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:59 am

Okay. I know by sight which grains I buy so I will go back to Rutabaga's and get the names. I did not know Quino had so much iron. I try to keep it to the 4%.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:22 am

What is ferra? I can't find it. See if they can give you a list of grains that you can get from them.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:51 am

I think she means 'farro'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Wolf wrote:What is ferra? I can't find it. See if they can give you a list of grains that you can get from them.

You are suppose to know what I mean when I misspell.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:12 pm

:lol: You are right, Liz. We are supposed to know what you mean!

Now, going to your diet, don't just give them the soaked grains and raw produce, mix them with frozen produce to make more like a gloop (Rambo will eat more veggies that way) and don't give them any almonds or anything else with high protein in the morning. You can allow the veggies to thaw overnight by leaving the bag outside but I find it easier to prepare the grains, mix them with the frozen veggies and make individual baggies with one day portion -that way, you don't have to worry about preparing it every morning and the frozen veggies remain frozen until you thaw the daily bag which increases the nutrition.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm

My crystal ball is broken and won't get anything other that the comedy channel and I am not always the brightest match in the box, what can I say?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:09 am

2 Tbs Faro
1 pearl barley
1 buckwheat grout
1 mixed wild rice
1 bulgar wheat
1 white quino
1 flax seed
1 steel cut oats

This mixture is what it is and the quantity of each ingredient and it will feed all the birds each day.

I have not looked up the nutrition yet but will get to it and put it in Health Nutrition and Diet.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:29 am

OK I was going to do that for you, but with the site that I gave you, you can do it yourself, but let me know if you want or need additional help.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:43 am

Wolf wrote:OK I was going to do that for you, but with the site that I gave you, you can do it yourself, but let me know if you want or need additional help.

If you have the time I would appreciate it. If you don't I will add it to my list.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training