Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Macaw in a Bad mood

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Macaw in a Bad mood

Postby Kristina » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

I have just recently recieved my baby B&G Macaw 10 days ago. The first ten days were great but today he began to give me some problems...

Just before I went to school i opened his cage talked to him and petted him; he didnt seem too earger to get out of the cage so i left him in there and went to school. When i returned from school he was hanging on the door wanting to get out i opened the door and he stepped up onto my arm and then to the top of the cage. As i tried to get him to step up he kept going to the otherside of the cage or trying to lunge and bite me.

It took 30 minuted and failed attempts for him to step up onto a perch that i was holding till i could finally get him on my arm. But he continued to flap his wings frantically as if he wanted to fly away. I got him to the play stand in the living room and he seemed fine. I have tried to get him to step up again but he continues to lunge at me and try to bite me- he doesnt even want me to pet him or be near him bc he will inch away from me.

Have i broken his trust in me? How can i get him to step up and trust me again?

thanks everyone
Ringo is my star!
:macaw:
Kristina
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Macaw in a Bad mood

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:50 pm

I don't think you lost the parrot's trust. I think you just didn't earn it to begin with. It's a bond you develop with time and experience. You were probably just fooled cause the parrot was so new to the situation that it didn't resist whatever you were doing before but now has come to realize its capabilities. You have to take the steps to develop a trust and bond with your parrot. Here's a good way to start: How to train parrot to step up without biting article.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training