Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do I make friends w/ my new Lovebird?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: How do I make friends w/ my new Lovebird?

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:46 am

To begin with, there is nothing that we have suggested to you that would interfere with this birds learning to trust you enough to come out of her cage for training, play or any other interaction with you. The areas that you are having difficulties with are those which are related to your birds health. I understand that these areas do not mesh with most of our human schedules and activities, this simply means that if we care about our birds that we accept the inconveniences of having them and adjust our schedules to give them what they need if we can and in the areas that we can't change then we must get creative to solve the problem so has to give them a healthy life.
We did not choose what these birds need to be healthy and happy or relatively so, but we can do our best to provide for their needs, you would not hesitate if it were your birth baby, because of the bonding as well as the laws and moral stigma attached to doing otherwise. But a bird is just a bird and by law does not have any more rights than a blade of grass. But to me they are living, breathing being possessed of intelligence and emotions that rival my own and in some areas even surpass my own. For me they have the same rights as I do and are even more important to the planets ecosystem than I feel that I am.
My sole purpose for being here on the forum is the birds and only the birds. I see my job as trying to help you to adjust enough to provide them with a good, healthy environment, physically, psychologically and emotionally. You are able to speak for yourself and be heard they do not have this luxury and so every suggestion that I make is always going to be in the birds best interests. I will try to help you understand your birds needs and I will try to help you to find a way to provide those things that they need in order to have a good, healthy life and to help both of you to adjust to each other so that you can have a strong lasting, loving relationship with each other based on trust and respect for each other.
So for what ever reason, you are not going to get up at 6 am or earlier to uncover her cage, and you have her in your bedroom, there is no reason that you can't give her dinner an hour before dark and leave the room with the lights off and return after it gets dark to cover her cage. then you can quietly use the room with low light until you are ready to go to bed at which time you could uncover her cage with the lights off and go to bed. While this does not address the matter of her breakfast it does allow you to give her a solar light schedule as her body needs. All it takes is a willingness to try. Think about this.
I am 60 and I am up at 3 am on almost all mornings and I don't go to sleep most of the time before midnight or 1 am. This is not by choice, it is due to circumstances beyond my control. The point is that I have four very special and to me unique birds living with me and I manage to bend my schedule to give them that which they require and you can too if you want to bad enough.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: How do I make friends w/ my new Lovebird?

Postby liz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:09 am

My cockatiels teach the new ones what is good to eat. All but Rambo came to me with just seed for food. I always had to give Rambo something before Myrtle would try it. The only one available to teach your bird is you. Eat in front of him then offer him a bite of the piece in your hand. Of course my Zons have become beggers. Rambo says "huh?" when he wants a taste. Myrtle says "Myrtle?".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training