Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to teach my 7 month old Parrotlet to step up?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

How to teach my 7 month old Parrotlet to step up?

Postby hannah233 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:31 pm

I have a male 7 month old Parrotlet that I got when he was 8 weeks. The breeder never taught him to step up and for some reason he gets scared and will fly if you move your hand by him to try to pick him up or if you have one finger out like you're going to make him step up. The only way I can make him go on my hand is if I trick him really. I'll put my hand flat on the bed, palm down, and wiggle my fingers because he doesn't like that and will run over to bite them, but then I stop right before he gets to my fingers and he'll immediately calm down and then usually will come stand on my fingers, which I then lift up supppperrr slowly otherwise he'll fly. I usually just grab him and once I actually have him in my hand he's perfectly fine. If I can't catch him I'll just sit on my bed and wait for him to come fly over and land on my head. He is comfortable riding around on my head or in my hair, and I can usually grab him pretty easily from there.
I'd really really like to teach him to step up and to be comfortable with hands coming towards him, is it possible even though he's already 7 months old?
hannah233
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: How to teach my 7 month old Parrotlet to step up?

Postby liz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:12 pm

How long have you had him? He is a baby and needs to be taught everything: what to eat, how to play with toys and etc. The breeder taught him nothing.

DON'T GRAB. The wiggle finger to start an attack is funny. Whatever works.

Thank you for not trimming his wings. If he flies around you he is doing good.

It sounds like the two of you will be fine if you just remember that he is a baby.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:50 pm

I think you will be fine, just quit grabbing him. The wiggle of the fingers sounds like a great way to get his attention and it sounds like it is working. So don't bother fixing it if it is working. Just add the words "step up" or something to that effect and a treat as a reward. My parrotlet loves almonds so a small piece of almond might work for yours.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:31 am

I give praise instead of treats for good things they do. I learned with the dogs that even if one is getting a pill the others see it and feel deprived.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:43 am

Wolf is right, it's just a matter of tweaking the action and never, ever, ever grabbing him.

Put your hand down and, while you wiggle your fingers, keep on saying: Step up! Step up! and IMMEDIATELY after he gets on the palm of your hand, praise, praise, praise (Good bird! Good bird!) and reward but do not lift your hand -leave that for later when he willingly comes with just the step up command and without wiggling your fingers. Once you achieve this consistently, time after time (but never train for more than ten minutes at a time and only 2 to 3 times a day), you can start lifting your hand and teaching him 'Step down'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Praise is a very powerful incentive for birds, but to begin with treats can really speed up the initial process. My birds get most of their treats on a just because basis and it works very well, but bribery has its place as well.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training