Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fischer's lovebird day 1

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Fischer's lovebird day 1

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 05, 2015 10:34 am

Awwww, what a cutie!! But, yes, don't teach him to go on the keyboard or you will end up like me and typing on little nubs instead of keys :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Blu » Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 pm

What a cute lovie :swaying: I have always loved lovebirds but I am glad I got a budgie first. Not as temperamental.
Connor loves to rip up my keys. I cant browse the internet when I have them out or else I will be putting keys back on or wiping bird poo of the key board :?
Blu the Budgie :budgie2:

Connor the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Blu
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet, Cinnamon Green cheek Conure

Postby od94 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:14 am

lol! Bad reputation for these birds with keyboard haha

Actually I have a problem with Mac he is upsetting me..
Spring is here,and lots of birds around the house,I am covering his cage during nighttime because early morning 5:30-6:00 he begun screaming really loud and all the house is awake.It is working BUT once I remove the cover he begin "singing" -interacting with the outside birds MODE ON ALL DAY LONG he is screaming well he thinks he has a nice voice(you can enjoy it the first few seconds but then lool) he is actually vocalizing but oh God these bird can go loud and ANNOYING,and barely obey to come to my finger he just does screaming all day long,only in the afternoon-evening he will shut up as the outside the bird usually shut up too lol :| His sound is really annoying all day long lol I wish I can stick his beak lol haha

He is just a bird I know but is there anything to do? :roll: Will he get used to it?it has been around 3-4 days,I can barely interact with him he seems obsessed with screaming. that's unfortunate :(
He is also destroying all the toys in his cage,lol I am glade he is enjoying them.But what the hell is happening to him?! Is there a demon in my room? :lol:
EDIT: What about playing a mp3 of lovebird singing 24/24 for a day maybe he will get bored and get used that it won't bring him anything?
od94
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Fischler's lovebirds
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Fri May 08, 2015 8:12 am

The thing is that he should be getting up around 5:30 or 6 am as that is when the sun rises, this along with exposure to the twilight period at dawn as well as at dusk are very important in keeping his biological clock in tune with the seasons. He should also go to sleep by full dark, just like the wild birds outside.
While the Fischers lovebird is one of the smaller lovebirds, their small size will fool you as to how loud they can get with their vocolizations and they have a tendency to be vocal most of the day. I don't have this species of parrot although I do have a parrotlet and a pair of budgies. The parrotlet is pretty quiet but the budgies chatter all day long and my CAG is starting to mimic the budgies so she at times sounds like a giant sized budgie, which while it is hilarious right now can sometimes be a bit frustrating as she is about 10 times louder than they are. Since this is a natural behavior for this species of lovebird, I don't think that there is a lot that you can do about it. You may try moving his cage further from the window, you may try the mp3 recording and see if either of them help to reduce the amount of vocalizing. If the recording helps then you may try getting a lovebird of the opposite sex to help reduce the noise, but that might not work either. And then you would have two of them calling to each other. Most of the time if you are patient enough about it you will get used to te sounds that your lovebird makes and it will become just another background noise that you almost don't hear although you would be very aware if it quit. Since the budgies talk almost all the time, I find that their silence, whenever it occurs to be deafening, it stands out that much.
Myself, I would just spend as much time with the bird on me as I could and just get used to its noises. Pajarita may have some ideas that might help.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby od94 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:37 am

The thing is that he should be getting up around 5:30 or 6 am as that is when the sun rises, this along with exposure to the twilight period at dawn as well as at dusk are very important in keeping his biological clock in tune with the seasons. He should also go to sleep by full dark, just like the wild birds outside.
mm.. mistake number 1: I am keeping him awake till 10-11pm I cover the cage at around 11pm-12am,and i give him his dinner around 9pm,I will cover his cage today at 8pm.. and give him his dinner at 6pm
Since this is a natural behavior for this species of lovebird, I don't think that there is a lot that you can do about it. You may try moving his cage further from the window, you may try the mp3 recording and see if either of them help to reduce the amount of vocalizing. If the recording helps then you may try getting a lovebird of the opposite sex to help reduce the noise, but that might not work either. And then you would have two of them calling to each other.
I don't think I will try adding a second parrot,it will worsen the thing as It will be more difficult for me to build a relationship with the bird and maybe got 2 singers instead of one :lol:
Most of the time if you are patient enough about it you will get used to te sounds that your lovebird makes and it will become just another background noise that you almost don't hear although you would be very aware if it quit. Since the budgies talk almost all the time, I find that their silence, whenever it occurs to be deafening, it stands out that much.
Myself, I would just spend as much time with the bird on me as I could and just get used to its noises. Pajarita may have some ideas that might help.

lol hopefully! I am actually afraid of the feedback from my surrounding more than me being annoyed by the bird. lol

thank you Wolf!
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Blu » Fri May 08, 2015 9:11 am

Blu does most of the singing for the both of my birds but Connor will scream at dusk and dawn. He is a very quite bird usually and Blu's vocalizations aren't really loud so its not that bad. It gets trying in the morning hours but I know I cant get mad at him. I have always thought it is just natural behavior. All the outside birds sing at these times the most so he cant be any different. I would say maybe a different approach to what wolf suggested. Maybe move his cage closer to the window and put a bird feeder outside the window. He might like to see the birds. Connor and Blu may get on each others nerves but they don't like to be apart. They find comfort in having another bird close by. Connor not so much but Blu being such a small bird wants the companion ship.

Blu
Conure

Postby Wolf » Fri May 08, 2015 10:59 am

Blu is a budgie and they always feel better and more secure when they are with others of their own kind, in this respect lovebirds are similar, but whereas budgies are more inclined to accept another species, love birds are less inclined to accept a bird of another species. All birds seem to do better with other birds around them, but it is even more important with the smaller birds, at least I think so.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 08, 2015 11:16 am

Oh, yes, I definitely agree with Wolf! It's important to all parrots to have companions but, for the little ones, it's pretty much essential. I would never have just one budgie, plet, lovie, tiel, beebee, linnie, etc.. Larger species bond deeply with humans but little ones, although they can learn to love you, don't bond the same way with us even when they are hand-fed and they need a little bird friend all of their own. But you have to be careful with lovies because you can't have two females together.

Now, usually, lovies are not THAT vocal and I don't think it's the wild birds that are making him scream all the time. This could be the case, although it's not very likely, if he was sexually mature but this is a baby and, in my personal opinion, he is screaming out of loneliness or hunger. You need to change his schedule and make it a solar one because, in my personal experience, lovies are one of the most hormonal species there are and the hens become chronic layers VERY easily so 'an ounce of prevention' and all that. You should also make sure it's not hungry. Babies need plenty of fresh soft food because, like all growing 'kids' they need better nutrition and the comfort warm soft foods brings to them. He also needs to be ON you for hours every day because like all babies, they need the security of a solid, warm body next to them to relax. The small species look grown up even when they are only a few weeks old but they are not, they are still babies and need to treated as such.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby od94 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Thank you all for your replies! I don't think it is a good idea for me to bring a second bird,they might get louder,and they say if you get 2 lovebirds it is very difficult to tame them with humans,i read it in many articles... :roll: I have moved the cage 2m from the window,I believe that keeping him away from the outside environment is better,since when I got him he was unaware of the outside and it was still a bit rainy so no much bird movement outside and he was doing great!

I will try to vary even more the food and see what happens,I got a new food today for lovebirds,it is a mixture of dried fruits and vegetables raff fruttovo . I will try it in the morning to see if he likes it..
Pajarita thank you for your help :) But what do you mean by getting him to a solar cycle? I didn't get the idea.

I WOULD LOVE to have him on me every day,but i am afraid this bird has never been tamed before..he is not yet 3 weeks old at my place,and it is his first time to be tamed. He is accepting me but not yet that much..He has no problem at all from eating from my hand.Sometimes he doesn't have any problem with getting on me.. but sometimes it is a big no no.. Like today I don't know what's wrong with him he is not accepting to go out of his cage destroyed his toys lol he never touched them before and the 3rd toy he is trying to break it but he has no chance it is hard enough to hold lol.. I don't know what is wrong with him lol it is like the bird has been switched haha or a hormone is spiking in its body haha
I will check tomorrow hopefully he will be better

Thank you all! I will keep you updated :)
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Blu » Mon May 11, 2015 6:14 pm

ALL of your questions can be answered by what Pajarita and Wolf have already said. He is not tamed yet because they need TIME to get used to you. Its not usually a week long process. It was like 5 months before Blu warmed up to me and we are still forming a stronger bond.

Blu
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training