Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Question about training perch size

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Question about training perch size

Postby Ziva » Sat May 09, 2015 9:53 pm

I'm new to the forum, but not to parrots :macaw: :gray: :)

I would like to buy the training perches but have a question about which size. I clicked on the link (for asking such questions) but it just said "404" so I couldn't ask.

Anyway, I have a B&G and and CAG. I don't have the money to buy two sets of perches. Both of my fids have 1 1/4" diameter perches in their cages, and the B&G has a manzanita perch with various size branches.

Would the size "Large" T-perch be okay for both of them to use? Or the xtra-large? (Would the "Large" be too small for my B&G? Would the xtra-large be too big for my Congo Grey?

Also, looking at the video of the B&G "Rachel" using the training perches, the perches looked like they moved a lot. Are they really stable enough for macaw flight training?

Thanks so much for any help/answers! :thumbsup:
Ziva
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
B&G Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Question about training perch size

Postby Wolf » Sat May 09, 2015 11:04 pm

I don't buy these perches as I live on 6 acres of mostly timbered mountain land so I make such thing myself for my birds. I also don't have anything larger than an amazon. think that as far as foot size goes the large ( 1 1/4") would work for both birds. The x-large doesn't seem to say the diameter of the perch but I think that the real issue would be in the weight of the birds as a Grey is much lighter than a B&G, so I would think that the x-large would be the correct way to go with this. I will contact Michael and direct him here to answer your question.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Sat May 09, 2015 11:12 pm

I sent Michael a pm directing him here to help you. Thank you for asking us and I am sure that he will answer as soon as he can.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Ziva » Sat May 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks so much for your help Wolf!

Yes, I was wondering if there was any other differences between the "Large" and "Xtra Large" perches besides the diameter of the perches themselves. There really isn't enough info. It just says the stands weigh about 10 lbs each. That's why I was concerned about stability for a B&G macaw. It appears that the stand itself is the same (weight) for a little Senegal as it is for a macaw. The only difference is the "L" shape vs the "T" shape and perch diameter/length.

Thanks again so much for your help in contacting Michael for answers to these questions. Much appreciated!

(I'm also rural. Live on an island in the PNW. Lots of space and thickly forested. Mostly Douglas Fir, Sitka Spruce and Cedar. The spruce and fir is too soft, and the cedar too toxic, so I always buy perches to be safe).
Ziva
Parakeet

B&G Macaw

Postby Michael » Sun May 10, 2015 8:19 am

Go with XL. See my last article to see blue and gold macaw on XL

http://trainedparrot.com/Flight_Training

My Cape can go on them just fine too.

Just realized you said you saw the video. Yeah, they work just fine. She has hever tipped them. It is also possible to add extra weight for scaredy birds who can't stand a little wobble.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Ziva » Sun May 10, 2015 10:44 am

Thank you so much Michael.

They are both older birds (in their 20s) and haven't flown since they were very young. (Neither have ever been clipped). There's a ton of hawks and bald eagles here. I lost a tiel, who was outside on my shoulder, to a hawk. After that I was too afraid to let my CAG and B&G outside except in their outdoor carry cages. My living space is too small for them to free fly in, so they haven't flown since.

I want to re-train them for flight, even if it's only perch-to-perch, for the exercise. Neither one of them play on their swings, so I don't know if a wobbley perch would scare them or not. I don't want them to have a negative experience.

Thank you so much again for your quick answer! :)
Last edited by Ziva on Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziva
Parakeet

B&G Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 10, 2015 12:27 pm

I got exactly the same opinion when I saw the video: very wobbly perches, they need more support.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Pajarita wrote:I got exactly the same opinion when I saw the video: very wobbly perches, they need more support.

Then you've never seen a bird land in a tree :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Wolf » Mon May 11, 2015 3:32 pm

I watch the birds all of the time, I live on 6 mostly timbered land which I leave to grow naturally. Except for the smaller bird who frequent the bushes most of the ones here land on nice strong branches if they can. Sometimes I get flocks that when they land they land on the strong branches right on down to the springy ones. So yes they can and do land on springy branches but here in the Blue Ridge Mountains they seem to prefer strong branches as a first choice.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training