Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

biting when on hand

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

biting when on hand

Postby sash4 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36 pm

We are in the slow process of taming our ringnecks, they dont want to step up, but that will come.
the problem is they will fly to your hand for a treat very well but then want to take chunk out of your hand in the the process of it,, any ideas,,,,
I was told to try something on your hand that doesnt taste nice, so when they bite they will realise biting isnt good so will stop, Has anyone tried this??
sash4
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiels,, indian ringnecks
Flight: Yes

Re: biting when on hand

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Using a glove is a possibility. Another one is to have them land on a perch you hold. Or you can distract them while on your hand. Or you can give them the treat after landing and immediately send it off. Lots of ways to do it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kathleen » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm not really sure what you could use that wouldn't taste good, but I would be concerned about mess and make sure whatever you use isn't toxic, of course.

I would recommend using a glove for this. With a glove, I feel like you have a little less control and there's a little less feeling, but it can provide protection against bites but also against sharp nails scratching you and it could give you more confidence with the bird. It's definitely easier to prevent a biting problem if you never give the bird the opportunity to realize that biting hurts you and biting will get what it whats. I think the bird always has the potential to nip you (it's kind of like communication with you, aggressive or nonaggressive). If the bird has bit you and in the past you reacted to the bite somehow, it will be a little bit more difficult to overcome but it's still possible.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby sash4 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 am

Well ive been trying the glove, and after quite a few attempts at tearing at the glove with no reaction he/she is perfect and landing and staying on my hand to take the treats, and looks for me all the time and thinking of landing every single time with or without a treat,,,,

Now me thinking right, they have sussed it,, thought i would give it a go without the glove!!!!!
STUPID MISTAKE!!! flew onto the landing hand and bit straight into the treat hand!!!

So the next step is what??? not sure to continue with the glove or bare hand,,i know the bare hand is just a different texture to the glove and he was just curious,,but not very willing to have chunks out of my hand until he gets that the bare hand ok aswell as the glove...

so how do i progress from here????
sash4
Parakeet

Postby Kathleen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:18 pm

What you really need to do is get rid of the glove while you transition to bare hands.

You also need to stop reacting to any bites. Do not scream or yell "ow!". Do not say anything at all. The bird will not understand "no" or "stop". Do not put the bird down in response to a bite. One thing you can do is disbalance the bird a little bit as a reaction to the bite by moving your hand a little bit. This should only be enough so that the bird gets caught off guard a little bit and has to catch its balance. This just serves to distract the bird during a bite. Something else you can do is have the bird step up between your fingers a few times to distract from a bite. But mostly, you cannot react.

If you want to be able to touch the birds, your hand has to be rewarding. You could do what I did with Kili. Put your hand as close to a bird as you can. Figure out what the threshold of aggression is. Right before your bird reacts to your hand, reward it. Only reward the bird when it is calm. As you do this again and again, bring your hand closer and closer as you go along and keep testing the threshold of each of your bird's aggression. Eventually, be able to touch each bird for a little bit with your fingers and reward. Then, be able to wrap your hand around it and reward. Then be able to pick up your bird for a few seconds and put it back down and reward. This is how you tame your bird to like your hands.

Right now, your birds have learned that they can get something out of biting you. They got a reaction, so they might keep trying for a while. It is easier to prevent a problem than to fix one with parrots. If you need to use the glove, then always use a glove. But your parrots need to each learn that the presence of your hand alone is rewarding.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby sash4 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:36 pm

The only reaction is the off-balance thing, which makes them fly off then return, they both can be friendly in lots of ways,taking food from hand inside or outside the cage, or play a game where we scratch their beak while they hang upside down in the cage etc, Its one in particular that seems feisty with the bare hand, its just not curious biting when he lands, you can actaully see he wants to bite....
sash4
Parakeet

Return to Taming & Basic Training