Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby african grey

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Baby african grey

Postby pep4 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:59 pm

:gray: hi
I have a baby african grey,he is 14weeks on Tues,
When I get him out his cage and he is sitting with me he gets very excited and starts making
Noises then he might grab your finger and close his beak hard, I do tell him no bite and he does stop,
Then 2 min later he is doing the very same thing again.
He grabbed my t shirt at the arm bit and also caught my skin, I have a cracker of a bruise now on my arm, I know he doesn't know he is like biting but how can I maybe get him to stop doing this sooner rather than later.
Ty for any help..pep xx :gray:
xx Pep xx
pep4
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: CAG
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby african grey

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:51 pm

While hearing the noise that Tim is making might help to put these bites into context more precisely, the very fact that Tim is excited tell me that the proper course of action is to set him down until he can pull himself together enough to calm down. Anytime that you handle an excited parrot of any species you are very likely to get bitten. This is not Tim's fault, it is just the way that they are, excitement is very much related to aggression and therefore excitement turns to aggression with little to no warning.
I would suggest that when you bring Tim out of his cage put him on top of it until he calms down and relaxes.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby pep4 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:57 am

Thank you the noise is like hoo hoo hoo like a panting sound if that makes sense,,I will start today putting him on top of his cage and see if this helps,will keep you updated ty again for the advice :gray:
xx Pep xx
pep4
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:25 am

African greys are actually quiet birds and the hoo hoo hoo sounds like begging to me. Is it possible he is asking for food? Are you feeding it at least two types of soft food? Handfeeding? He is still a very young baby, you know...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby pep4 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:32 am

ty for replying ..oh Tim has plenty food and eats well i think he just getts himself over excited
at times ...i say to him no bite and he does stop so he does know
xx :gray:
xx Pep xx
pep4
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:42 am

Yes, I am sure he has plenty of food but what kind exactly, if you don't mind my asking?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 am

Pajarita is correct in that he could be asking for food. I know that even if I eat plenty of food that there are times when it is just not satisfying and I end up still being hungry, I usually assume that this is because my body is in need of something that was not supplied by the food that I ate.
On the other hand My grey will ask for more attention if she feels that she is not getting enough. It takes time and experience to understand what the bird is asking for, so for that I would not rule out either possibility until I have offered both and see how they act.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby pep4 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:54 am

hi
he has his seeds he has veg diff types of veg..he has fruit lots diff fruits
and he gets treats and also parrot noodles that i bought from Northern parrots and other bits here and there aswell
hope this helps if u think i have missed something let me know and will add it ..yes i will keep an eye on him and see how he is acting but seems to be getting a little better as each day is passing
xx :gray:
xx Pep xx
pep4
Parrotlet

Return to Taming & Basic Training