Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help screaming

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Help screaming

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 am

First, there is never a problem with sending me pics to post for you.

This is normal behavior for birds as they are flock animals and were never intended to be alone. From the time they hatch until the time of their death they are never alone in their natural environment. Because of this they call for us when we are too far away of not paying them enough attention. They will call for you if you are home but outside or if you are in another room, but they also don't call while we are actually gone and they do know the difference and are very smart.
I always answer my birds when they call for me. I use a whistle and after a while they normally will pick up on the whistle and use that to call for me. As I said, I always answer them until I can go to see what they are wanting as they could be having a problem and need help, so I also always go see as soon as I can. I don't just drop what I am doing and come running but I do answer and check on them to be on the safe side.
Try playing music from tapes or from the radio and note what music the bird seems to respond to the most as they are like us in that they each have their own preferences in music. Generally my birds seem to like old 60's and 70's rock and roll or just about any music with a dancing type of beat to it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:37 am

Did I put it backwards? I was looking at the v and was thinking that the longer v was a male. You are right it is the other way the longer v is a female and all I have to do is to look at Kiki to verify that, my mistake and bad. Thanks for the correction, I appreciate it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Archiebald » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:13 am

Hi thanks for the reply
Archie hasn't been dna sexed as I was told that I would have to take feathers out of his chest and I am sorry but i am not able to do that to him,painful???
Rio is out at the moment so I will try to get more pictures
Thank you both wolf and parjita (hope I spelt it right) my memory is awful and I don't remember how I spelled it last time,
Archiebald
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Archiebald » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:52 am

Hi sorry parajita will try to remember the right spelling.
I have sent wolf another picture of archie just in case you are able to tell male or female??
,when we first met him he was in the pet store he was eight months old and stuck there in a little cage
my heart just went out to him,hadn't gone looking to buy a parrot just some rabbit food,lol
For the first several months he would only come to me,then out of the blue he turned toward my husband more than me,
We have a great relationship tho even though he can be very stubborn unless he gets his own way,lol
Luckily for me i found this forum and have tried to learn how to look after him,to the best of my ability,
Should I write all this on a different place on the forum,as I said I am not the best on the computer

Wolf I have sent more pictures hope it is clearer for you,thanks again I am very grateful
Archiebald
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:16 pm

OK, I will look for them.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 pm

Archie 01 (640x478).jpg

Archie 02 (640x478).jpg

Archie 03 (640x517).jpg

Archie 04 (640x478).jpg
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:01 am

Yep, they still look like two females to me unless the zon is real young (I have two, a male and female but mine are older so the difference is obvious). You don't really need to pluck feathers from their chest, all you have to do is order the online kit (they send you instructions and a little vial) and, when you take the bird to the vet for a check up, ask them to put a little of the blood they draw for their tests in the vial, send it in and you will get the answer in a matter of days and at a MUCH cheaper price than what you would pay at the vet.

And don't worry how you spell my handle, you can just write Paj instead.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Archiebald » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 am

Thank you wolf and Paj
Archie will always be Archie boy or girl lol,
Thank you for the information about using the online testing

Rio
Actually attacked me twice this morning, she was tucking into a melon that was being prepared for them both and I took it away because there was skin on it that I didn't want her to eat (poison)???
She ran across to me and boy did she lunge and hang on,painfully,
I'm hurt because yesterday I thought we were making progress as she stepped up twice for me,on to a stick as she doesn't like my hands at all,lol
Never mind one step forward and three backwards,thank you for your help
Archiebald
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:23 am

Actually not a step backwards at all. She attacked because it was hers and you took it away from her and she was trying to get it back. This is actually a normal behavior. I don't prepare their food with them present because of this, I fix the food and give it to them. Mine will allow me to remove pieces of food that they are not eating, but never the piece that they have. If they did not do this, then in their natural environment they would very quickly starve. I avoid the issue by not taking food away from them when I give it and by preparing their food in a different room than they are in so that they can't get it before it is ready.
Many times, I find that understanding why they behave in the manner they do often suggests how to get past the behavior.
I always have to think a lot about parrots and hands. We seem to have parrots that appear to resent hands and actually do not, the hand not being the issue, but what occurs when the bird is on the hand. This is the bird that avoids the hand and/ or bites the hand when asked to step up as they are mostly placed in their cage when they do step up. Like the bird that is happily perched on your shoulder and bites when you ask it to step up and when it does is put in its cage. For this bird changing what happens when it is asked to step up along with the judicious use of a high value treat works wonders in eliminating the aversion to hands.
The other type is the birds that actually resents the hand. This bird has normally been forced into having things done to them that they didn't want done to them. Sometimes it can be trace to how the bird was fed when it was removed from its parents and sometimes to other things. In many of these cases there was some form of abuse that the hands were involved with. This is the bird that may or may not get past this aversion and if it is to stand a chance of getting past the fear of the hands is going to take a lot of time and gentle handleing as the bird consents to it and not before.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Archiebald » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Wolf,thank you for explaining that to me, hadn't thought of her thinking that doh dumb or what!!
It seems that it is just my hands ,she is fine with husband hands,she will step up out of the cage onto my arm but not if my hands are in sight

Should i open the cage and let her come out on her own ???,I thought that she would think that I am nice human for getting her out,

When she stepped up onto the stick for me yesterday
I put her in the cage with lots and lots of praise but I had her straight back out not for her to think that I would put her in the cage every time she stepped up for me,should I have not put her in at all ????

She does like to fly and land on my head lol

I have to admit that I have been more cautious with her since she lunged and bit me this morning (it was painful) so even though she has been out today i have not gone to near,tho she let me give a little scritch through the bars before bedtime,

Thank you again,hope you and your lady are keeping well.
Archiebald
Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training