Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby grey biting and other things

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Baby grey biting and other things

Postby pep4 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi
My baby grey will be 20 weeks Tomm,
He has started shutting his beak on me which at times is really sore ..grabbing and biting my finger or hand
And he has also started jumping up towards my face and grabbing my nose..and he wants everything I have if I say no and try n take something off him he goes all grumpy and isn't pleased at all
Can anyone please help me on any of theses please as I really do need to stop theses things Asap
Thank you so much xx :gray:
xx Pep xx
pep4
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: CAG
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby grey biting and other things

Postby Wolf » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm

Well the first thing that I would do is when he bites to hard is to set him down and tell him no bite then try again in about 5 minutes. I would do pretty much the same thing with him going for my face.
In addition to doing this I would be looking at his diet as a parrots aggressive behavior can be influenced by their diet. I would make sure that I am not petting his body and I would look at his waking and sleeping schedule. All of these thing affect a parrots behavior.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby pep4 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi Wolf
He has just been put onto AS30 seed no sunflower or peanuts in it
He was on Johnstone number 1
He gets his fruit and his veg everyday aswell
He goes to bed at 8 pm and is up at 8 am
Not sure what else you need to know hope I have covered it
Any other advice would be great
Ty again so much
Pep x :gray:
xx Pep xx
pep4
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: CAG

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:23 am

I think that you are trying to do a 12 hour a day sleep schedule, which in the long run will prove to not work for either you or your bird. What I do is watch the sunrise in the morning so that my birds are exposed to the dawn, during its twilight period and then the bird wakes up naturally as it would in the wild and the same in the evening. I make sure that they are exposed to the twilight period of dusk and allow the bird to go to sleep naturally as the sun sets. These two times are very important to regulating the birds internal biological clock. The need for this becomes more apparent as the bird approaches maturity as this biological clock is the timer for the onset of breeding season. Failure to keep the bird to this solar light schedule will result in a bird that remains hormonal and becomes increasingly aggressive. Right now this doesn't have as much of an effect on the bird due to its age but will after maturity.
The birds diet is also a factor in its breeding cycle and its level of aggressiveness but it can affect the aggressiveness now. Too much protein is often the source of unwarranted aggression in both juvenile and adult birds.
It sounds like you have a pretty decent seed mix with this AS30 seed mix. I have no idea what Johnstone #1 is. Is it a pellet? I will try to look it up today but if you order it online and could provide a link to it, that would save me some work. Fruits and veggies are great.
Now there is some controversy in regards to seeds and pellets. Personally I do not feed pellets, but I am not here to debate the pros and cons of these foods. It is important to note that you don't usually require both of them. Not only do they seem to interfere with the birds choice of which it wants to eat it often leads to having a diet that is too high in protein. So I will just let you know what I feed my birds and let you make your own choices on this.
Shortly after sunrise my birds get a fresh raw fruit, a fresh raw vegetable and a fresh raw leafy green and then about an hour later I give them their breakfast which is a homemade cooked food consisting of whole grains, vegetables and white beans and lentils, we call it gloop.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13666 This is a link to it in this forum.
and they are given enough of the fresh produce and the gloop to last them all day until dinner time. Dinner is served about 2 hours before sunset and it consists of their seed mix which I remove after they go to sleep for the night.
None of the things that I have suggested will be an overnight cure for the behavior that you are describing they all require a little time to work. don't get discouraged when telling your Grey no ,don't bite and sitting it down doesn't show improvement right off as Grey can be stubborn and you have to be consistent as well as persistent in setting these boundries with them. Some times it is like they need to feel that it is their idea to not bite you. I didn't mention it before but a daily routine is very helpful with Greys as they really are not fond of changes so you also need to add a daily time for out of cage and personal one on one time with you. The difference is that one on one is time for the bird to interact directly with you while on you or right next to you, often it is a bit of both. The daily out of cage time is time that the bird can use to explore its surroundings ,fly about and primarily do bird stuff which may include personal on you time. They require a minimum of four hours of this out of cage time of which one hour of it should include the one on one time.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:35 am

This is a 20 week old baby, it cannot be diet or light schedule that is causing this aggression - if it is, indeed, aggression and not hunger or anxiety (which seems to me to be much more likely). Wolf is correct on the importance of a good diet and a proper solar schedule and you should follow his advice but I think that you need to spend more time cuddling with the baby (they need hours and hours and hours), a good daily schedule (and that means doing the same thing, in the same order, every single day) and soft food available to him 24/7 and served fresh twice a day. Babies need special food even when they tell you they are weaned and, if I were you, I would try to feed it some nice soft food with a spoon twice a day, too (best bonding tool there is).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:07 pm

While I do not think that this is being caused by the light schedule it is best to start them off on the schedule that they should have right from the beginning. I do believe that too much protein may be a contributing factor, but I can see Pajarita's point of view that this could be related to hunger and / or to a lack of attention. So I would suggest that you give what she has said a try and see if it helps. She does have years of experience that I don't have.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training