Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help me with my grey

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Help me with my grey

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:38 am

Yes, you can make a batch and portion it out and freeze it, that is what I do. Just pull out the next mornings ration and let it thaw overnight and it is ready to serve in the morning.
Presently your bird has several things going on all at once, and this is causing some behaviors that appear to be contradictory but in actuality are not, they are the direct result of the things going on with the birds life right now.
We can consider that Luna has been pretty much left alone and either in or on top of her cage, that you are now starting to take a more active role in her life, that she is likely hormonal due to the diet and human light schedule. These all cause her to react to you in the manner that she does,
I am sure that she is glad for the new attention and is excited to see you and she wants to interact with you, but having spent so much time in and on her cage she is cage bound and afraid to leave the cage.
The things to do are to spend several hours a day talking to her, getting her used to your presence and accustomed to the sound of your voice reassuring her that it is alright. Make the suggested changes to her light schedule and diet and read and start using the target training link that I provided you with, two 10 to 15 minute session per day of that. Work on stepping up maybe asking her to step up once or twice whenever you pass by he cage three or four times a day until she is doing it fairly reliably. Keep all training sessions short and for now interaction with her may work best in shot doses but often, four or more times a day.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am

And if she doesn't feel comfortable stepping up to your hand, don't ask her to until she does. You can't train a parrot not to fear you or to like you, you can only show them that you can be trusted and that you love them until they do - but everything needs to be on their terms, not ours.

BTW, grays are not touchy-feely birds. My Congo likes to have her head scratched but only when she feels like it (she asks for it and also lets me know when she's had enough) but my Timneh only likes to rub her face on mine and give me kisses, she doesn't allow anybody to actually touch her, she touches you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Dim718 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Wolf wrote:Yes, you can make a batch and portion it out and freeze it, that is what I do. Just pull out the next mornings ration and let it thaw overnight and it is ready to serve in the morning.
Presently your bird has several things going on all at once, and this is causing some behaviors that appear to be contradictory but in actuality are not, they are the direct result of the things going on with the birds life right now.
We can consider that Luna has been pretty much left alone and either in or on top of her cage, that you are now starting to take a more active role in her life, that she is likely hormonal due to the diet and human light schedule. These all cause her to react to you in the manner that she does,
I am sure that she is glad for the new attention and is excited to see you and she wants to interact with you, but having spent so much time in and on her cage she is cage bound and afraid to leave the cage.
The things to do are to spend several hours a day talking to her, getting her used to your presence and accustomed to the sound of your voice reassuring her that it is alright. Make the suggested changes to her light schedule and diet and read and start using the target training link that I provided you with, two 10 to 15 minute session per day of that. Work on stepping up maybe asking her to step up once or twice whenever you pass by he cage three or four times a day until she is doing it fairly reliably. Keep all training sessions short and for now interaction with her may work best in shot doses but often, four or more times a day.

my bird actually want stop step up but scared, when i come by the cage she raises her foot showing she wants to step up, but when she gets on she starts acting nervous and now I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with the bird. so far sticking to the diet plan and it seems the bird likes the food I've been making hope i get the tamed friendly parrot I'm seeking to get and even these training sessions we are doing its working the bird seems like it really does trust me a lot more. but really wonder as to why i got bit so bad. and thank you 1s again for everything
Dim718
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: african grey

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 am

Unless the bird has learned to bite humans because they won't listen to the bird when it tries to tell them that they don't want something done to them the only reason that a parrot bites is in defense of itself, its offspring or nesting area or if it is afraid. You are lucky as this is not a bad bite and certainly not as severe as the bird is capable of, it didn't even break the skin. This is from a bird that bites open nuts that you need pliers, nut cracker or a hammer to open so with that as a perspective you can readily see that this was a warning bite and not an attempt to actually hurt you. The thing about it is that as a bird, you are defective due to your lack of protective feathers.
It sounds like you are making progress so keep it up and study your bird so that you can understand it better when it tries to talk with you or tell you something with its body language and actions. And above all else be patient.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 am

Lifting a foot up can mean that she wants to step up or that she is warning you not to get any closer. If they raise their foot and you get bit, it's because you missed other body language signals indicating that the raised foot was actually a warning and not an invitation so observe your bird more carefully and make mental notes as to how her plumage is laying, the position of her head, her general stance, whether her body looks relaxed or tense, how her eyes look, etc
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Dim718 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Pajarita wrote:Lifting a foot up can mean that she wants to step up or that she is warning you not to get any closer. If they raise their foot and you get bit, it's because you missed other body language signals indicating that the raised foot was actually a warning and not an invitation so observe your bird more carefully and make mental notes as to how her plumage is laying, the position of her head, her general stance, whether her body looks relaxed or tense, how her eyes look, etc

ohh it didn't raise its foot to warn me for sure, when i come close to the bird gets super happy when its on the cage it does it little dance with the head and wings and as soon as i say step up starts raising the right foot and attempts to step up , takes a couple of tries to step up due to the fact that it gets nervous but when the bird steps up it won't let me move away from the cage gets very nervous but now anytime i come home and i let the bird out it wants to step up as soon as i come close to the cage
Dim718
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:12 pm

I have a 15 year old Amazon that due to the abuse that it lived with for 14 years is also mostly cage bound. This means that it refuses to leave its cage, some of them will not even come out of their cages. It took months before I could get my Amazon to come out of her cage. She has been with me now for about a year and a half( I looked today to be sure) and will climb around on the outside of her cage although she will not go on top of it yet. She will sometimes allow herself to be put on her perch tree that I made for her, it is next to her cage so that she will remain on it for more than just a minute or two. Once in a while she will misstep and end up flying to My Lady sitting on a sofa just across the room from her and since that is her favorite person she will sometimes remain perched on her knee for up to 30 minutes. I am writing about this here to let you know that it may take a long time for your bird to feel comfortable with you moving away from the cage with her.
Now, you have an advantage in that your bird is eager to step up and be on you, my bird was not allowed to do this or to ever touch a human for any reason. You may be able to work your way back from the cage by backing away from the cage one step at a time and working with your bird at that distance until he gets comfortable with it. Also a play station or perch tree that you can move about might prove helpful for you if you start the bird out close to the cage, that is provided that he is not afraid of it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Dim718 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:00 pm

Wolf wrote:I have a 15 year old Amazon that due to the abuse that it lived with for 14 years is also mostly cage bound. This means that it refuses to leave its cage, some of them will not even come out of their cages. It took months before I could get my Amazon to come out of her cage. She has been with me now for about a year and a half( I looked today to be sure) and will climb around on the outside of her cage although she will not go on top of it yet. She will sometimes allow herself to be put on her perch tree that I made for her, it is next to her cage so that she will remain on it for more than just a minute or two. Once in a while she will misstep and end up flying to My Lady sitting on a sofa just across the room from her and since that is her favorite person she will sometimes remain perched on her knee for up to 30 minutes. I am writing about this here to let you know that it may take a long time for your bird to feel comfortable with you moving away from the cage with her.
Now, you have an advantage in that your bird is eager to step up and be on you, my bird was not allowed to do this or to ever touch a human for any reason. You may be able to work your way back from the cage by backing away from the cage one step at a time and working with your bird at that distance until he gets comfortable with it. Also a play station or perch tree that you can move about might prove helpful for you if you start the bird out close to the cage, that is provided that he is not afraid of it.

my main fear now is that if i start walking away he will freak out and bite me, thats what I'm really scared of. also i tried calling him from a distance thinking he would fly to my hand and i asked him to step up from a distance and none of those worked ( was hoping for a miracle) but i fee like i need to be doing something else besides having him step up and have him out the cage next to me while I'm on the sofa. what else can i do to show and prove to my bird that I pose no threat.
Dim718
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:00 am

Patience and consistency are going to be your best tools at this time. Your Grey is currently cage bound for all practical purposes and it is a matter of him realizing that he will still be safe if he leaves the cage and goes walking about with you. The cage is where he has been without the attention that he needed to develop into a normal confident bird and now that he is beginning to get the attention, which he deserves and enjoys, he must be given the time to develop his confidence in both himself and in you. As difficult as this all is for you it is much more difficult for him. This was done to him and he is not this way by his choice, healing takes time.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Dim718 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:16 am

Wolf wrote:Patience and consistency are going to be your best tools at this time. Your Grey is currently cage bound for all practical purposes and it is a matter of him realizing that he will still be safe if he leaves the cage and goes walking about with you. The cage is where he has been without the attention that he needed to develop into a normal confident bird and now that he is beginning to get the attention, which he deserves and enjoys, he must be given the time to develop his confidence in both himself and in you. As difficult as this all is for you it is much more difficult for him. This was done to him and he is not this way by his choice, healing takes time.

100% agree and understand thank you
Dim718
Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training