Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Screaming on time and extra

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Screaming on time and extra

Postby Suzanne_Oeid » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi everyone any advice would be much appreciated. I had rio settled into a room where he really couldn't see outside so it was rare for him to scream. My dad got annoyed with the mess of the cage and seeds so i had to move him to under shelter in the backyard. I understand that they have their morning and afternoon screams but he is now always over excited amd screams even if its not that time and in the cage. My parents are close to getting him out becaus they cant take the noise any more. I brought him in this morning because he was screaming and now even when he is indoors he screams. I dont know what to do now and i really don't want to lose rio because he is finally accepting of the family.
Suzanne_Oeid
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow crested cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Screaming on time and extra

Postby Wolf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:56 am

First of all where do you live ? Just a general location is fine.
I don't think that seeing outside has much to do with the birds screaming as I have five different species of parrots that can see outside and they don't scream. The bird is more likely to be screaming because it is alone and afraid and by putting it outside and ignoring its screams for attention you are causing it to scream all the more. Parrots of all species are flock animals and are highly social they need to be with their flock as they count on it for protection as well as emotional stability. If you have a single bird then you and all the members of your household are the birds flock.
Parrots are messy, there is no changing that, but you can reduce the mess from seeds by using seed guards on the cage as they will help deflect the seed hulls back into the cages clean out pan. You can also put down newspaper or even a sheet to catch poops and other debris to help keep it off of the floor. Regardless of where you keep the bird you need to answer it when it calls for you and go see what it wants. You need to spend a minimum of four hours a day with the bird out of its cage with at least one hour of that being spent with and on you as in physical contact. It is not always easy to live wit a bird as you must adapt to them because they can't adapt to you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Suzanne_Oeid » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:38 am

I can understand the screaming for attention because yes 90% of the time i ignore it because thats what i have been told to do so i dont reinforced that behavior, i only go to him when he is quiet.

I will take ur advice for the seeds.

Ever since he's been outside i get to be around him for only 1 or two hours because i have things to do except for the weekend where i would spend lots of time with him. I live in sydney australia if thats what you mean, a house in a closed off street soo the noise is pretty loud
Suzanne_Oeid
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:11 am

This rant is not against you but I am SOOOOOO very tired of the stupidity of the 'ignore the screams or you will be reinforcing the behavior' crap! It's so illogical it's mind-boggling! Parrots evolved to find safety in numbers. The flock is their safety net against predators so, when they are alone, they are afraid and anxious and call for company exactly the same way a baby who waking up finds himself all alone in a room and starts crying. Now, I ask you, would you ignore the baby to teach it not to cry? Or would you go and pick it up to comfort him and reassure him that he is not alone and that there is no danger? Do you know of any adult that having been comforted by his momma when he cried as a baby continued crying for the rest of his life? No, you don't. But, on the other hand, babies that were raised in orphanages that did not have enough staff to pick up every baby and comfort it when they cried do grow up with severe behavioral issues, don't they?

I have a lesser sulfur cockatoo that came to me as a screamer (I have other ex-screamers but Freddie was, by far, the worst of them and yours is also a too). This bird lived with a loving couple who worked all day long so he was all on his own during the entire day and he screamed bloody murder all the time for 21 years! It took me 10 months of comforting him and keeping him company all day long, then getting him very gradually and very slowly used to living in the birdroom (cage free and surrounded by other birds) but you don't hear a peep out of him now during the day.

Ignoring a bird screaming for help (which, contrary to the idiots who believe that the birds are 'misbehaving', is exactly what they are doing) in his loneliness and fear is not only futile because it's not removing the cause of his screaming, it's also cruel because it's basically telling the bird that no matter how dire the situation, you won't be there for him. Please don't do it. It's hard to make a bird stop screaming all the time. I won't lie to you, it is! But it's the right thing to do. Parrots did not choose to be taken in as human pets so it falls to us to ensure that captivity is not a worse ordeal than it needs to be.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Suzanne_Oeid » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Okay, will do
Thank you
Suzanne_Oeid
Lovebird

Return to Taming & Basic Training