Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tiko/Tiels

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Tiko/Tiels

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:11 pm

How can I get Tiko to stop being afraid of Rocko and Loki shes afraid of small birds and she is used to other birds and I know that because she was kissing an African grey yesterday.If they fly Tiko flies off away.I want them all to get along well I know they might not actually get along because like big size difference but I want them to be ok living in the same house and not be stressed.I think the tiels are ok with Tiko though because they always try get close to her so Rocko and Loki have to stay in their room and cant come downstairs if Tiko is out.Also Cracker,Casper and Casha are coming for a visit again tommorow so there will be a lot of birds in the house again.And because cracker is a conure and looks a but like her I mean the feather shape I thought she would be ok with him.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Tiko/Tiels

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Greys are not generally known for liking other species of birds. They will usually try to just leave them alone if the other birds will allow it as Greys don't tend to be very aggressive.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Wolf wrote:Greys are not generally known for liking other species of birds. They will usually try to just leave them alone if the other birds will allow it as Greys don't tend to be very aggressive.

I want her not to be afraid of them she has always been afraid of small birds shes bigger so I dont know why.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:30 am

My Senegal is a very aggressive bird, my parrotlet is at least ten times more aggressive, and both are absolutely fearless when in attack mode. My Senegal will look at you as if to ask do you need to get bitten, my parrotlet will bite the ???? out of you several times stop for a heartbeat and bite you some more just in case. My Amazon will not mess with my Senegal, she just screams and runs from her unless she thinks she can sneak up on her. My Amazon weighs half again as much as my Grey.
I have two 100 pound dogs that will say hi to my Grey, avoid my Senegal and run from my parrotlet. I have seven full grown cats that will not allow my Senegal to get near them, they will all scatter when she tries to land in the middle of them.
I am hoping that by putting in this way that I can help to create a picture in your mind about birds and aggression to help you see.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:43 am

Wolf wrote:My Senegal is a very aggressive bird, my parrotlet is at least ten times more aggressive, and both are absolutely fearless when in attack mode. My Senegal will look at you as if to ask do you need to get bitten, my parrotlet will bite the ???? out of you several times stop for a heartbeat and bite you some more just in case. My Amazon will not mess with my Senegal, she just screams and runs from her unless she thinks she can sneak up on her. My Amazon weighs half again as much as my Grey.
I have two 100 pound dogs that will say hi to my Grey, avoid my Senegal and run from my parrotlet. I have seven full grown cats that will not allow my Senegal to get near them, they will all scatter when she tries to land in the middle of them.
I am hoping that by putting in this way that I can help to create a picture in your mind about birds and aggression to help you see.

So Tiko will always be afraid :(
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:09 am

Grays are difficult birds. They are high strung and don't bond with other birds so, usually (there might be exceptions and that's why I say 'usually'), they rather by left to themselves and people than other birds. My grays live with other birds in the birdroom but they are not bonded to each other even though they've been living together for 8 or 9 years now - but they do tolerate the Jardine perching with either one of them, eating from the same plate, etc.

Be careful about having other people's birds for a visit with yours. This is something I would NEVER do.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Pajarita wrote:Grays are difficult birds. They are high strung and don't bond with other birds so, usually (there might be exceptions and that's why I say 'usually'), they rather by left to themselves and people than other birds. My grays live with other birds in the birdroom but they are not bonded to each other even though they've been living together for 8 or 9 years now - but they do tolerate the Jardine perching with either one of them, eating from the same plate, etc.

Be careful about having other people's birds for a visit with yours. This is something I would NEVER do.

All the cockatiels and conure are happy with each other I know what u mean in case the visitors or my birds are sick but ive never had a problem and I would tell my Aunt and uncle if my birds are sick.I know Tiko would get along with another grey she enjoyed her time with coco.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:34 pm

There is no way for me to know if Tiko will always be afraid of the other birds, I don't really know at this point if she is actually afraid or just doesn't want anything to do with them and it can be difficult to know for certain.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training