Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What should I do next with my budgie taming?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: What should I do next with my budgie taming?

Postby Zentg » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Pajarita wrote:I have a feeling your bird is clipped and that's a shame because, if she wasn't, it would be easier for her to trust you in many ways. For example, they love flying around and then end it up by perching on your head. It's high up for them to feel safe, far enough from your hands to feel that you won't be trying to grab it but still near enough another living being to make her feel good.

Do the sessions after her breakfast (wait until she finishes eating and preening and do it then), early in the afternoon after she gets up from her noon rest (don't do it during her noon nap time, you would be disrupting her natural biorhythms), then again before her dinner. These are the times that birds in the wild interact with each other and are the best ones for our own interaction with them.

It's always easy when you keep them to a strict solar schedule and don't feed them high protein all day long because then you can use the times birds normally interact with other birds in the wild to tame/train, etc. and tempt them with a high value item reward. People think that the husbandry (diet, schedule, etc) we recommend is not really necessary and that's it's too hard but, in reality, it's not only that it's so much healthier for them but also that it helps the human immensely when it comes to taming and training!

When your friends tell you that they could tame a bird better or sooner than you, tell them that this shows they don't know anything about parrots!

Nope, her wings/flight feathers are not clipped - she is fully flighted. Otherwise I wouldn't have put "Yes" for "flight" in my forum info. She hardly seems to want to come out of the cage, I keep the cage door open all day when I am home and she never really comes out to explore. Though today I could see she was chirping to my music so I got some millet and held it out and she jumped on my finger then i brought her to the computer for a bit and she ate millet and hung out with me for a bit, then she flew back to her cage.

Lotta people are jerks but I do have some friends that are extremely knowledgeable. One of them explained it to me like this: until they trust you as a flock member you gotta take things really slow. Even if it's been 3+ months and you feel she should be playing with you, you gotta take it as slow as the day you first got her - lot of people say budgies are too small and scared to be cuddly, but that's because they only gave it a few months then gave up - but if you keep at it daily and treat them good and never try to force them to do anything they don't want to do, they will open up to you sooner or later and it will be extremely rewarding and worth the wait because you will see their true personality and it will be amazing to look back at before when they were scared in comparison.
Zentg
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:37 pm

That is very true, you never try to force the bird to do anything. You go at the birds pace at all times this helps to build trust. This is why I said to let the bird come to you, It will only come to you if it wants to.
Excuse us if sometimes we miss a detail and tell us what we missed, some of us answer a lot of questions for a lot of birds and it can bet hard to keep it all straight in our heads when answering for similar birds or circumstances.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Zentg » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:24 am

right on, btw does anyone know much about flight harnesses for budgies? i am hoping to get a conure this week and i saw people like to put harnesses on them to take them outside and stuff - so basically do you just stand there and they fly around in the air like a kite?

also i saw some videos of putting harnesses on budgies but that seems like its too tight and uncomfortable for budgies so i prolly will only get one for a conure.

also unfortunately the fli8ght feathers on the conure are clipped, so if i wait for them to go back will he be able to fly? or will the muscles in his wings be atrophied? hoping i can work with him and help him fly then do the harness and take him to the park and have him fly around like michael did with his senegal :D
Zentg
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:48 am

Whether the conure will fly or not depends on two facts:
1. was the bird allowed to fledge and learn to fly before it clipped?
2. how old is the bird and how long it's been denied flight?

The first question is because if the neural paths are not created when they are at the age they are supposed to have been created, they never are. And the second has to do with atrophy of muscles and shrinkage of tendons which, if it's severe, it cannot be undone without specialized physical therapy (and even then it takes a loooooong time and they might never really master the maneuvers).

I would not ever consider putting a harness on a budgie or any other tiny bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training