Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please Help me and My Macaw !!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Please Help me and My Macaw !!!

Postby batuhan003 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Please watch my new video https://youtu.be/nTPar5uwrT4 :( . Warning last 5 seconds
batuhan003
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Red bellied Macaw
Flight: No

Postby kyrubas » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:49 pm

I have significantly less experience with pet birds, but the duration and tone of that squawking sounds remarkably similar to a young mocking bird that still has its spots; the spots being an indication that the bird is a juvenile. Typically these juvenile mocking birds can fly short distances, but they only know one song (sqeeek!).

Juvenile Mocking Bird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDldUhCOJkQ

If you observe a juvenile mockingbird long enough you'll note that one or more adults are near by (usually parents) guarding and often feeding these young birds. Even though these birds will eat what they can on their own (you'll often see young mocking birds do a multi-stepped wing opening to flush insects out of the grass), their hunting/foraging instincts are not completely sufficient yet to feed them on a daily basis.

The point is, for a bird that can live at least 30-40 or more years, this one is very much so still a juvenile. From the second video it still seems rather afraid of you (staying in the cage), but will none the less tell you it's hungry (squawking and climbing higher).

To illustrate what I mean by this:
In addition to squawking for attention, when my birds demand either mine or my wife's attention for one reason or another they'll either dance at the very edge of the perch on top of their cage until they almost fall off (I think this is an unsureness about flight) or if they really want what we have (like an apple) they'll fly to us (which they do more and more often).
kyrubas
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure, Jenday Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:31 am

They are just like human babies. As soon as a baby can sit up he is put in the high chair and given food he can pick up. He has fun feeding himself but cannot get enough to fill them up. So the solution is to do the high chair thing and feed him soft food while he is eating from his plate.

I took a baby Starling away from a cat and named it Friskies. He was so little that I had to feed him. Even after he could eat on his own he still begged for feedings. When he was able to fly I opened the window and let him out while a flock of Starlings were in the yard. The first thing he did was go begging. The flock took turns feeding him. I let him out every day. When there were no Starlings he would go beg from Chick Chick my pet chicken. She did not know to feed him but showed him where the good stuff was in the yard and how to scatch it up. At sundown he would fly back in the window and beg for supper before bed.

My 30 year old Amazon, Rambo, still does the begging dance even though he is quite capable of just telling me what he wants. He has a special chirp for begging and slightly flutters his wings to draw attention.

Myrtle was a desperate rescue afraid of everything but Rambo. She stayed out of my reach and backed up when I got near her. She depended on me even before she trusted me. Myrtle just says "Myrtle?" as in "can Myrtle have some of what you have".

Keep feeding him. He depends on you even though he still does not trust you. He will wean himself. The more he is able to eat on his own the less he will eat of what you are feeding him. You can start skipping feeding times in the middle of the day when he does not really need it. Continue the last feeding of the day before bedtime to make sure his belly is full so he can sleep until he refuses it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:56 am

Was there a point to the video? If so, what exactly was it? Because if it was that he only begs for food when you are around, we had already established that this is what baby parrots do...

But, as long as we are here: please put the cage higher -it should be at your eye level when you are standing up. And put branches instead of dowels, the ones you have in there are not good for its feet and toes. Is there a window in this room? Because, if there isn't, you need to put his cage in a room where there is one. And you need a bigger day cage (you can use this one as a sleeping cage).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training