Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Next step

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Next step

Postby Toggsy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Wolf wrote: I would look into changing their diet to include nuts and perhaps a food such as gloop found in the nutrition, diet and health section of this forum as it has whole grains, vegetables and legumes as well as perhaps adding a few tree nuts in a well, in addition to a good seed mix for dinner. I am not much on pellets and do not feed them to my birds.

really interested in the nuts especially which ones are safe I was always under the impression that they were to fattening for them
Toggsy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 34
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringnecks, celestial parrotlets

Budgies ,cockatiel finches, canaries, doves and Chinese Painted Quail
Kept in aviarys
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:40 am

Yes, nuts are a source of both fat and protein, just the same as seeds, but they are also a good source of other vitamins and nutrients that seeds are lacking in. Neither fat nor protein is bad for them as they like us need a certain amount of them in order to remain healthy, the problem is when they get too much of them. We are also told that sugar is bad for us, and that is true but only to a degree. Not all sugar is bad for us, it depends on the type and the amount of sugar, the birds body, just like ours uses sugar as it major source of fuel. We need vitamins and minerals to develop our bodies and minds but too much of any one of them can cause serious medical issues and even kill us. So the problem is not that we consume these items, the problems arise when we consume too much of them as well as consuming the wrong types of these things.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:34 am

Yep, exactly so!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training