Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need help with m new alexandrine

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Need help with m new alexandrine

Postby loise45 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 am

Pajarita wrote:I don't feed any dry fruits, either - well, actually, let me re-phrase that, I do but only the ones that are naturally dried and without any sulfites, like raisins, dates, figs, currants, cranberries, etc and I only use them in the gloop or the birdy bread.

I would not use sunflower seeds with him. I would use a budgie mix for dinner and, once he is old enough to start training (and I would wait until he is a juvenile for that), I would use the sunflower (or maybe, better still, safflower) seeds as rewards.

Now, as to the schedule, it's very important that you allow him exposure to twilight and that means no artificial lights on so, please, don't make him go from night to bright light by turning on the lights early in the morning or when the sun is setting. Birds are photoperiodic (a long word that means that they use light to determine the seasons) so their endocrine system is regulated by the quality and quantity of light they receive. So, for a bird to know when he is supposed to start or stop producing sexual hormones, when it's time to molt, migrate, eat, go to sleep, etc. he needs to follow the sun (think of the birds in the trees). They have an internal clock that tells them when there are enough daylight hours for Baby toys online shopping to be born (different species having different number of hours which is called the species point of refractoriness), for example, but this internal clock is like a stop watch which gets 'started' with the different light at dawn and gets 'stopped' with dusk light so, if you don't expose them to the change in light spectrum (the different colors of light) that happens at twilight, the stop watch doesn't quite work as it should.
Aside from that, your schedule sounds pretty good and the only change I would make is to put perches and branches on the outside of the cage so he can climb up and sideways from it. I would also try to do some light chores with him on my shoulder (they love cuddling against our neck), it would give him more one-on-one time without you having to change your routine much (I have one on my lap and another one on my shoulder as I am typing this).

Now, as to the food, what you are offering is good but I would recommend you offer him some more soft foods for him to peck at during the day. Gloop (this is a dish made out of cooked whole grains, pulses and chopped veggies -there are recipes in the diet section) is a wonderful soft food for both babies and adults (this is what I feed all of mine in the morning along with fresh produce) can be one of them but you can also use cooked pastina (the tiny noodles used for soup), couscous, oatmeal (regular or Irish -aka steel cut oats), polenta (cooked cornmeal), etc. All of them should be mixed with veggies and fruits and, at the beginning, it's easiest for them to eat with baby food mixed in instead of chopped up anything. A couple of them should be served fresh and room temperature or warm twice daily. They not only provide excellent nutrition but comfort to them.

Hello,
Thanks for sharing the post.
I have two kids and both are boys, They always fight for the same toy.
That's why I want to buy same toys that look similar, So can you suggest any shop or any other b online site from where I can buy them??
Thanks in advance.
loise45
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Need help with m new alexandrine

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 am

Two males of what species and age and what kind of toys are we talking about?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training