Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness Training, Older Bird

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Harness Training, Older Bird

Postby flappybird » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:21 pm

I've been working on getting Luna harness trained for about a month now, I know it's barely been any time since we started. So far she will put her head through the harness for a safflower seed.. and that's as far as we've gotten. If I let the head loop drop on to her, she looses her mind and basically trips over herself backwards trying to get it off. I've gotten her to sit and eat her favorite treat (peanuts) while wearing just the head loop about once or twice, but it's pretty awful and you can tell shes freaking out the whole time but is also desperate for a peanut.

I don't want to be stuck at this stage forever, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Luna is not clicker trained. I haven't tried in earnest to do so, but when I tried back when I first got her, she is too confused by the clicker to even care that there is food.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had success harness training and older bird. Luna is 10, and I don't think she's ever been through any sort of training at all.

As for touch training... We are also working on letting me put my palm on her back when she is upside down, which is sort of working. If you try to let go of her feet she immediately freaks out. She also won't allow me to open her wings. She'll either try to nip me or hold her wing tight.
flappybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Headed Pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Harness Training, Older Bird

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 pm

I harness trained Rocko when he was around 1 years old he will he 2 in May.I really don't think you can move on until shes comfortable with her wings being touched you could do that by maybe touching her wing and reward her for not freaking out then start to open it a little bit until she allows you to extend them fully.I dont really have experience with this because every bird I have has allowed me to touch them everywhere.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training