Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lilac amazon biting my face and being more aggressive Why?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Lilac amazon biting my face and being more aggressive Why?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Veronica wrote:Oh and how do I go about making that distinction? Lol hes so young

I think yours is going through an early puberty.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:40 pm

If he is mate bonded to you to the degree that he perceives you as his actual mate instead of just his flock mate, then I really don't know what you can do to change it as it is his perception and not yours. You can only encourage more independent activities and perhaps having another person to step up and work more with him, thereby reducing the time that you and he are interacting without depriving him of the time and amount of human interaction that he requires.
As long as he perceives you as his actual mate then you must be careful about how you interact with any other living being as he is jealous of his time and contact with you and he will gladly die to fend of these other suitors and if he can't get to them then he will bite you in the attempt to make you move away from them.
Trying to reduce the time that you spend with him can also backfire and then he will bite you for rejecting him and his rightful time with you.
My CAG, Kookooloo, is this way about me and has been so since the very first time that we met. I have to be careful to not allow anyone to make physical contact with me if she is out and on or near me as she will instantly go after them. It has taken three years for her to allow other humans to sit near me at these times as long as they do not touch me. I am also the only one that she will allow to touch her for any reason.
The only thing else that I know to do is to remove the reason for this type of aggression by not working with your other birds in his sight or getting intimate with you mate in front of him either. If he doesn't see these interactions then he will not be as aggressive.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Veronica » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Omg. Ok I checked his hatch certificate and he was hatched may 14, 2014 and I brought him home on sep. 6 2014 is it possible for him to think I'm his mate?
Veronica
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lilac amazon and 1 large amazon

Postby Wolf » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Really this should not be the case and so the search for answers must go on, I would think. I will have to do some more research because I have not had any baby or juvenile Amazons. My birds all came to me as abused in varying degrees and they were all adults at the time of their arrival. Others may have much more experience than I have both with Amazons overall and with juvenile Amazons in particular.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Veronica » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:00 pm

Any ideas why my 1 year old might be acting so jealous of other animals when I handle them? He was born may 14, 2014. Any input would be appreciated.
Veronica
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lilac amazon and 1 large amazon

Postby Wolf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:02 pm

As Pajarita said it could simply be due to an early puberty. The light schedules that we humans live under is not the same as they have evolved to respond to and no parrot in captivity eats the same diet that they would have in their natural environments. They also have an abundance of food all year long and again this is different than what they would encounter in the wild. All of these thing could contribute to his having an early puberty. Unfortunately although we do know that this does occur sometimes we really have no idea as to how often it does occur. There have been no studies done on this to say one way or the other. It is very possible that given enough generations of parrots in captivity that this may become a new normal for captive parrots but there is no way of knowing this either at this stage of their domestication process.
This bird would be going through puberty come this springs breeding season based on his hatch date so he could be beginning this process now and although it is early it is not that early and then it is difficult to say how long their puberty will last as not all parrot species become sexually mature at the same rate. For instance my Senagal began puberty when she was around 2 years of age, but was not sexually mature until she was 5 to 6 years old. The hardest part of puberty lasts through the first breeding season but since it is a process it probably is not completed until they reach sexual maturity, but there is nothing that either confirms or denies this either. Unfortunately there is so very much that we do not know about parrots despite their having been kept by humans all over the world for thousands of years, it has only been the last 20 to 25 years that there have been any scientific studies started and we have so far only gotten results from short term studies as there has not been time for any long term results yet. We are at the very beginning of the learning process about parrots. Amazing, don't you think ?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training