Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Agressive behaviour from my African Ringneck

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Agressive behaviour from my African Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:04 am

Believe me, I did for a very long time and I also kept her off of my shoulder for a long time. Even after Kiki finally decided that I was hers, she was very intense with her bites and always removed chunks of flesh whenever she bit and for the longest time, nearly a year, my hands and arms were marked by an amazing number of scabs from the holes she left in me. Then after all that time, I guess she was satisfied and started to listen and her bites since then are mostly just little nips when she is displeased, but at least she is not removing chunks of flesh any more, and instead of bite after bite it is now just one nip at a time, so there has been a tremendous amount of improvement. She came here of her own volition and surprised us when we went outside one cold spring morning by trying to come in when we were going out. She was very cold and hungry and thirsty as well. Later on, about 8 months later we learned were she came from and some of the abuses that eventually led to her escape and arrival here. And at the time we knew nothing about parrots and had to scramble just to find out what we could feed her and of course it snowballed from there.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training