Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Face attack

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Face attack

Postby ParrotMan82 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi there. I was sitting on my chair not really doing anything and my Jardine's parrot came over to see me. I was talking to the bird, nothing out of the ordinary when he suddenly took flight, landed on my face and bit me. I'm not really sure what would have triggered this. No sudden sounds or movement. He just turned two years old, so it could be hormonal, but it is just turning to winter here so I figured it's unlikely to be hormonal, though perhaps I'm wrong.
ParrotMan82
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw, White capped Pionus, Jardine's Parrot, Meyer's Parrot, 2x Quakers, Nanday Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Face attack

Postby Chantilly » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:49 pm

I recently was reading one of the other posts, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13460 ,perhaps it was hormonal, or mabye there was something he saw or heard that you didnt.. Their hearing (and probably sight too,) is better than ours so it is possible that it was something he heard or saw. :sun: :jenday:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby ParrotMan82 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:54 pm

It's possible. We had the whole flock out and the TV was on.
ParrotMan82
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw, White capped Pionus, Jardine's Parrot, Meyer's Parrot, 2x Quakers, Nanday Conure

Postby ParrotMan82 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:58 pm

I kind of pried his beak off and move him off of me. My wife put him away and I went to tend to my wounds. I was pretty upset he did it. After I cooled off a little I went in to talk to him and told him I didn't understand why he attacked and I was disappointed in him. I showed him the wounds and everything. I've never seen a parrot so upset before. I know they can't, but I could have sworn he was going to cry.

Mind you I was just talking to him, not yelling or anything.
ParrotMan82
Lovebird

Postby liz » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:38 am

They feel what we feel. Although they do not catch all the words we say they do understand when we tell them that it hurt. Myrtles first bite was so hard that I stopped where I was to deal with the pain. When I looked up Myrtle was hanging upside down watching me. Many bites later it was bedtime. Myrtle must have done a lot of thinking after I put everyone to bed because the next day was very different.

Myrtle chews on me like a teething baby. Sometimes she bites too hard then asks me "owe?"

This summer I really did something stupid with the Boxer. I reached down to pick up a bone he was given by the neighbor forgetting which dog I was with. He bit me and immediately backed up and ran to his kennel. He apologized for a few day after that too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:17 am

Senegal males can be extremely aggressive and I have the scars to prove it! You have to be careful with the solar schedule, especially with males because they can get really aggressive when they are overly hormonal - and talking to them will not do any good if they are in pain, you know what I mean?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotMan82 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:10 pm

I've thought that too, except I've been giving them 12 to 14 hours of sleep. So if it is hormones...then it's puberty. He's given me a few bites over the past month, but he's never flown at my face to bite until now.

I haven't let him anywhere near my shoulder since.
ParrotMan82
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:19 am

Parrot owners were taught to give their birds 12 to 14 hours of sleep long before I ever had my first bird. By the time that Kiki Senegal came to me and I got far enough along in my learning to learn about photoperiodism and its effects on birds the new teaching from research was to make sure that they were exposed to the twilight period that occurs at dawn and the twilight period that occurs at dusk and to let them sleep from full dark after the dusk until sunrise. That it was the two twilight periods working together on a daily basis that served as the triggers to adjust the birds internal biological clock that also controlled their breeding cycles.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby DanaandPod » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:23 pm

My jardine has jealousy aggression. Usually its over my phone. My car keys. Occasionally he sees me doing something that I am without realizing he may act up such as write a shopping list...then he goes bizerk on me and tackles the pen. And he creaps up real sweet like nothings going on...and I have no clue he's about to snap me one like a rattle snake.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Wolf wrote:Parrot owners were taught to give their birds 12 to 14 hours of sleep long before I ever had my first bird. By the time that Kiki Senegal came to me and I got far enough along in my learning to learn about photoperiodism and its effects on birds the new teaching from research was to make sure that they were exposed to the twilight period that occurs at dawn and the twilight period that occurs at dusk and to let them sleep from full dark after the dusk until sunrise. That it was the two twilight periods working together on a daily basis that served as the triggers to adjust the birds internal biological clock that also controlled their breeding cycles.

Wolf is correct, they need the different spectral distribution that happens during both periods of twilight to 'set the clock'. I remember a study I read years ago (I've never been able to find it again since my computer died on me) where they had managed to get birds to produce sexual hormones with periods of only 4 hours of light at a time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training