Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anti social parrot

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Anti social parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:46 pm

They can hear better than us. I once read that, during WWII, they used to keep parrots in the Eiffel tower because they would start screaming when planes were approaching even before people heard or saw the planes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Chantilly » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Pajarita wrote:They can hear better than us. I once read that, during WWII, they used to keep parrots in the Eiffel tower because they would start screaming when planes were approaching even before people heard or saw the planes.

Wow! Those poor birdies, but that is pretty amazing. I wonder if that means half of the screaming fits they get into are actually because of something totoally different to being bored.

Wolf wrote:I can't really tell you why Tilly does not like her, only that Tilly is trying to tell her to leave. I would say that she can smell the persons body odors, but apparently bird can't smell to well. Still they can pick up on some amazing things such as the approach of stormy weather, sometimes days before out weather sciences know that it is coming, the same thing with earthquakes. Science thinks that these two things are due to their hearing. But although I don't think it is due to either smell or hearing, It could be sight related, in that if the lighting is good enough, they might see things that we can't because they see into ultraviolet ranges of light which are invisible to us. Or it could simply be plain old body language that the bird is picking up on. Birds are experts at reading body language. They are so good at it that it verges on being arcane.

Its funny though, because she likes our pet dogs even! Yes, they have amazing senses (lol wish i was a bird)!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:37 pm

It can be hard to figure out why a parrot doesnt like another, but birds are very practical compared to us. Usually the bird they dislike is bugging them in some way, It could be taking attention away from them, or they want the other bird to show a certain body language, a temporary mood, or something else. My 17 year old parrot is easy for me to figure out because I have had her for 17 years, so I know when she is disliking a person or parrot, usually what is going on and then I know what to do to correct the problem. With my new baby parrot I have to learn what he is like and it takes a while ususally to get where they are comming from.

The parrots teach us if we keep watching them and let them teach us. Right now my young Meyers has gotten all his flight feathers with his juvenille moult and he is a very active parrot and trying to do anything new he can do. When my older parrot is out she cant relax, because he is everywhere, so she has to constantly keep vigilant. She is not happy with him right now, so I have taken her over to my daughters for a visit a few days in a row and that has made her happy. I carry her over in my jacket and she turns around in circles when I tell her we are going and dives in my jacket when its time to go.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Chantilly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:08 pm

seagoatdeb wrote:It can be hard to figure out why a parrot doesnt like another, but birds are very practical compared to us. Usually the bird they dislike is bugging them in some way, It could be taking attention away from them, or they want the other bird to show a certain body language, a temporary mood, or something else. My 17 year old parrot is easy for me to figure out because I have had her for 17 years, so I know when she is disliking a person or parrot, usually what is going on and then I know what to do to correct the problem. With my new baby parrot I have to learn what he is like and it takes a while ususally to get where they are comming from.

The parrots teach us if we keep watching them and let them teach us. Right now my young Meyers has gotten all his flight feathers with his juvenille moult and he is a very active parrot and trying to do anything new he can do. When my older parrot is out she cant relax, because he is everywhere, so she has to constantly keep vigilant. She is not happy with him right now, so I have taken her over to my daughters for a visit a few days in a row and that has made her happy. I carry her over in my jacket and she turns around in circles when I tell her we are going and dives in my jacket when its time to go.

Thankyou Seagoatdeb :)
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby liz » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:58 am

Rambo loves to go "bye byes". He will jump into a carrier by himself. Myrtle's only "bye byes" takes her to the vet so she doesn't want in the carrier.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Chantilly » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:18 am

liz wrote:Rambo loves to go "bye byes". He will jump into a carrier by himself. Myrtle's only "bye byes" takes her to the vet so she doesn't want in the carrier.

Aww, thats so cute! Wedont have a carrier, But we do have puppy cages, would that work for vet trips if needed?...
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 am

Don't know, it would depend on the carriers construction. If it uses any galvanized wire then the answer is no as zinc ( the galvanizing agent ) is toxic to birds. There have been many cases where the plastic cat carriers have been modified with the addition of a perch and food and water dishes, that work well for transporting birds. Most of them are also modified to provide a more secure way of keeping the door locked shut as well.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 pm

For a GCC you can use a little habitat like this one: http://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-Kreat ... A6B0V24VRB

What you do is put a branch that is too long to fit at the bottom (see how it gets smaller at the bottom?) so it gets 'stuck' an inch or so above it - and a piece of newspaper at the bottom. They are pretty safe because the little door is at the top so they can't open it from the perch, it's easy to carry, it can be secured in the car with the seat belt and you can easily cover it with a blanket if it's too cold and, because it has no bars, no wind or rain will get in. I use one like this one to transport canaries.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training